Backfire from the carb!? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Backfire from the carb!?

Bought me a 2005 VStar 1100 this spring with 5000 miles. It was bone stock and had always been serviced by Yamaha.

The only thing I did to it was to drill out the end of the factory pipes with a 1 1/2" hole saw. After that it sounded great and ran just as well as it had before. I would have described the sound as a smooth rumble with occasional light popping on decel. which is normal as i understand.

1200 miles later I'm riding on a hot day. Have lunch and come out and start the bike and there's a loud pop from under the gas tank, like a backfire, (only a frontfire?). My buddy said he saw a puff of smoke coming out from the left side, somewhere around the carbs. After that my exhaust now sounds raspier and there is significant popping and backfireing on decel. at all speeds. The idle sounds lower too.

Any ideas on what might have happened. Did something get damaged when it frontfired? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 12:25 AM

i had that happen on my vstar 1100 when i took the baffles out and what it was is that my carb had fallen lose of the boot it would still run but like you said at low idle. just look closely at it, it might be off just a little bit.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Sounds like the boot to the manifold (between the carb and the head) might hahe cracked. This will yield a lean condition that will pop at carb and lower your idle. Get some WD-40 and spray around boot with the bike running when the idle changes you found your leak.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Well I took the air cleaner off and the carb had indeed come partially away from the front cylinder. Hope that cures the problem. Your help was much appreciated!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:01 PM

Kilo, I just did the baffle removal on my '03 1100 Custom. Sounds great but the backfires on decel are pretty aggressive. Did you do the AIS removal as well?

2003 V-Star 1100 Custom
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

No, actually I didn't even know the 1100 had an AIS until yesterday. My previous bike was a 650 vstar and the AIS was pretty obvious up front. After riding around for the day after putting the carb back on right the backfiring has cleared up immensely, but is still there. And I really don't remember it doing it at all previously. Makes me wonder if something got damaged?

Anyway, AIS disable is scheduled this afternoon to see how it runs then. Probably remove the unit shortly thereafter.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 PM

If you don't mind, post how th AIS removal worked or didn't work. I'm curious to see if it helps. Good luck.

2003 V-Star 1100 Custom
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Ais

Some reading material on AIS.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...FAQ-05.htm#AIS

Dave
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM

My AIS has been removed for the past 63k miles with no issues. I think it was put there for emissions for use with catalytic converters. The extra air is needed to burn off any fuel in the exhaust pipe before it gets to the muffler/catalytic converter. Raw fuel mixed with the material in the catalytic converter cause excessive heat.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Help Please with back fire problem

I just bought a 05 1100 custom it has the hard krome exhaust on it. I noticed a backfire from the rear cylinder from the pipe and the carb pops too. I jetted the carb with dyno jets. I also compressioned tested it it was about 105 PSI while the front was 120 PSI. I turned the carb around and the problem followed to the front cylinder then. I also checked the plugs and wires. the plugs are brown which is good. The AIS is totally removed and the applicable items are plugged. I am running a 112 jet on the front and a 110 on the rear. 2 1/2 turns on the PMS screw. I also frabicated a restrictor in which I installed just to see if it would work on the rear exhaust still no work then tried one on the intake to see no luck also. I have also tinkered with the PMS screw to see if tht helps but it doesn't. I can't think of anything else to do. It pops on decel, idle, and when reving it up. Any help will be appricated, I am spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode