Shake it!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Shake it!!

I have a 2005 1100 Silverado, with about 14,000 miles on the odometer. From any speed form 15 MPH to at least 60 MPH, if I take my hands off the bars, I immediately start to get a head shake on the bike. One or two hands on the bars stops it immediately. I have put about 2300 miles on the bike since I bought it last fall. It has the good, stock Bridgestones, and no changes to anything on the bike. I hardly ever have my hands off the bars, but I am thinking that this could be more pronounced than when I got it. The bike has had the front fender replaced from a "garage incident" I was told by the previous owner. The pinch bolts were a little loose when I checked them today, but I haven't had a chance to ride it since then. I know that some bikes just do this, and you have to live with it. But usually that is at a much narrower speed range, do to tire size, etc. And yes, the tires are inflated to factory specs. It seems to handle fine other than this shake thing. I just wonder what others that have had this same bike have to say about this? Thanks a lot! Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Shakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomike View Post
I have a 2005 1100 Silverado, with about 14,000 miles on the odometer. From any speed form 15 MPH to at least 60 MPH, if I take my hands off the bars, I immediately start to get a head shake on the bike. One or two hands on the bars stops it immediately. I have put about 2300 miles on the bike since I bought it last fall. It has the good, stock Bridgestones, and no changes to anything on the bike. I hardly ever have my hands off the bars, but I am thinking that this could be more pronounced than when I got it. The bike has had the front fender replaced from a "garage incident" I was told by the previous owner. The pinch bolts were a little loose when I checked them today, but I haven't had a chance to ride it since then. I know that some bikes just do this, and you have to live with it. But usually that is at a much narrower speed range, do to tire size, etc. And yes, the tires are inflated to factory specs. It seems to handle fine other than this shake thing. I just wonder what others that have had this same bike have to say about this? Thanks a lot! Mike
First, this is me only! I hate Bridgestone on my 1100, worst tires I ever run, that being said, factory spects on tire pressure is much to low,(33& 33?) You could very well have cupping on your front tire because of low tire pressure, that will cause the shake you describe, may not be your problem, but it's something to look at. Ride Safe. (If you ride double alot, with a new set, try 40 & 40, see if that does you better, my ideas only)

Ride Safe, Live Long

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 06-13-2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: add
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sugie! I have 36 PSI rear, 33 front. I have always been a Dunlop freak, so when it comes time for tires, I am going to look around. I still would like to hear from people about this. Thanks.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 05:58 PM

Change your fork oil. make sure both forks have exactly the same amount of oil in each. I use 1 pint bottle for each fork. Next check your steering head bearings for looseness. The tires are less of a factor that these items. I had a very bad wobble from the dealer servicing only one fork. Last work they ever did for me.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Doug, That is the kind of thing you should not have to deal with, but that is the business model for a lot of shops nowadays. You wouldn't believe some of the shoddy work I have been stuck with in the last few years. And it always cost money. Mine! I do a lot of my own, and will check the forks. Thanks. Are they just a simple pour in fill after draining?
Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomike View Post
Thanks Doug, That is the kind of thing you should not have to deal with, but that is the business model for a lot of shops nowadays. You wouldn't believe some of the shoddy work I have been stuck with in the last few years. And it always cost money. Mine! I do a lot of my own, and will check the forks. Thanks. Are they just a simple pour in fill after draining?
Mike
That is all I do, drain and fill. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the fork. I have not been able to remove it, so I pull my forks out remove the cap, springs and dump out the oil. reinstall the forks, fill with oil, install springs and reinstall caps. I do this every I change the front tire.
Good luck and ride safe

Doug

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM

loose steering

I had the same problem with my last bike when it was new. The dealer retourqed the steering head bearing and the problem was solved. Another thing to check would be tire balance. Maybe a weight came off with out you noticing it, or the balance could change with tire wear. Just a thought.

02 Vstar 1100 classic
Samson Warloard Ripsaws
chubby pod kit/maxair pms screws
barons ork
kuryakyn isso grips
breakaway cruise cont.
driver backrest
barons DT risers
barons tackometer
oem passing lights
crome visors on all lights & signals
drag highway pegs
viking studded bags
sissy bar with rack
studded front and rear seats
studded gas tank bib with pouch
clocks for bikes- stem mount
Ram mount& hard wire for GARMIN GPS
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

OK, Thanks. Yes, I checked the weight, and it is still there. I upped the rear spring one notch, and took off the Desperado sissy bar pack I had on, tightened the fork pinch bolts, adjusted the tire air pressure, and chcked for any play in the forks or wheeel. It all seems good. It definitely is better. I was wondering if the back pack was picking up wind and whipping the tail of the bike a little. Kind of far fetched, but I have to check everything. I will do the fork oil soon. Like I say, it only does it hands free. You don't notice a thing otherwise. At 65 MPH it is rock steady.
Mike
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:16 PM

I swapped out the ball bearings in the steering head for tapered roller bearings. They hold the torque better, can be tightened alittle more and they hold the grease better. Now I only mess with them every 2 years or every other front tire.

Doug

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

bearings

Well, that is interesting. How do I get them? Are they bought by size? Do you have a place to get them?
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode