Pics of 200 rear tire please - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Pics of 200 rear tire please

Hi all, I'll be buying a new rear tire REAL soon, (I can see the belts LOL) and I'm thinking of going to the 200/70/15 metzler 880 or the Avon Venom. Could one or more of you fine fellows that have already went there get some side and rear pics for me? I'd also like to see some pics from those angles of the stock tire size for comparison.
Next question, I have Bridgestone Exedra G703/G702 tires for now, will going with the Metzler or the Avon on the back be OK as long as I stay with the bias ply? Thanks in advance.

06 V-Star 1100-Trigger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 PM

I am in the same boat as Smokey (I can't see belts, but I can't see any tread either). I would like to see some pictures, but I would also like to hear about any changes in handling. How does it corner with the wider tires compared to stock?

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 PM

I have the Metzeler 880s on my V Star 1100. Great tires and I went to the larger rear tire 200/70/15. I noticed a little change when cornering, but not enough that it changed the way I ride or handling. I am very happy with the wider tire for looks. Unfortunately, the only photo I have is of the entire side shot of the bike and the tire is "hidden" behind hardbags.
I saw one thread where someone complained that the metzelers are terrible in water but great every other way. I was at Americade and got caught in the SEVERE downpour and rode without any troubles. Was extremely happy with the tire.
The person I ride with has a Warrior and swears by the AVONS. He says all the same things about the tires that I say about the metzelers. We both agree that there is little if any difference in handling.

Guess it's time for me to ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Ditto

I pretty much agree with all itstime is sayin, I have found that to be true, I flat out love Metz 880, my brother runs Avon Venom on his 1300 Honda and will run nothing else, they (IMHO) are both a great tires.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 PM

I used to post to another board when i had a different kind of bike. There were a number of guys there that were adamant that switching from the stock 180 to a 190 made the bike sluggish and cumbersome in corners. It was a sport bike, so things were a little different, but it seemed a bit extreme to me.

I had Metzlers on my last bike and never had a complaint. The bike came with a newish Metz 880 on front (only a 100) and a bald Dunlop on the back. I will get another Metzler for the back, the only question was size. Looks like I will be going with the 200.

I would still like to see some pictures if anybody has them.

Last edited by 61rsss; 06-15-2010 at 09:17 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Garage
I would like to see how that looks too.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:12 AM

i have a 2003 v-star 1100 classic and thinkin of putting a 200 tire on it also but i see with the stock tire it is pretty close to that drive shaft...how much wider is the 200 tire ?...will there be a rubbing issue when double riding?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 AM

A 200 is 30 MM wider than the stock 170. If you go to the Metzler website, you can see their fitment guide and read about some of the testing they have done. They say that it works fine and there are some posters here they say they have had no problems with it.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:16 PM

I read on the Metz website that they don't recommend it as the 4.5" stock rim is narrower than recommended. True there are no problems but the tire shape is pinched and doesn't retain the same design footprint. It also won't end up being a full 200 size in width but somewhere around 190.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM

From their site.

In many cases Metzeler provides you, the consumer, with optional tire choices for your motorcycle. The data below is designed to callout a optional suggested fitment or upgrade for your application. To learn more about these please click on the box to the left marked important upgrade info To see the suggested tire pressure range please click on the box to the left marked recommended tire pressures.
ME 880 Marathon ME 880 Marathon
Front Rear
110/90 - 18 M/C 61H TL ME 880 MARATHON Front - 36 PSI 200/70 B 15 M/C 82H TL ME 880 MARATHON - 40 PSI
Note: Stage 1 upgrade.

They define Stage 1
STAGE 1 UPGRADE:
The Metzeler Stage 1 Upgrade helps you improve the mileage, ride, handling, and looks
without modifying your bike. A true BOLT-ON upgrade for everyone!

Even after reading that it is ok I called Metz before I made the change. The tech people said "it is done all the time and changes nothing with the tire" They said anything bigger than the 200 is not good without a rim change. My local motorcycle shop also said that they do this all the time.

FullTilt, I did notice that on the Metz site, the United States site lists the bigger tire as acceptable but the international site doesn't give any option other than the stock size. Could that be a dragstar vs. v star issue? Not sure, there shouldn't be a difference. The metz tech assured me it was not a big change and wasn't damaging the tireby going to the larger size.

Guess it's time for me to ride

Last edited by itstime; 06-16-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode