V Star 1100 Intermittently Dyyyyiiiinnnnggg - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

V Star 1100 Intermittently Dyyyyiiiinnnnggg

Whoever can solve this will receive my undying gratitude!

'02 V Star 1100 Classic with 20k miles. This has happened 4 or 5 times over the past few years.

Riding down the road - could be for 15 minutes or 2 hours - speedometer needle starts flopping wildly, then goes down to zero. LCD odometer display goes blank. Bike starts to miss and then sputters to a stop.

I have gone through 4 different aftermarket batteries. They get so drained from the bike running directly off the battery that they cannot "come back from the dead".

I have replaced the voltage regulator twice. After replacing it the bike may go for a year without a problem, or just 3 weeks before the problem resurfaces.

Bike is putting out the proper 14.5 volts to the battery when it is running properly - which is the majority of the time. All terminal connections are tight.

The dealer says the use of an aftermarket battery is my problem. It is his contention that I am overworking the voltage regulator because I am using batteries batteries with higher capacity (more CCA). I do not agree - I think it would work the voltage regulator less as it does not require as much charge because of the higher capacity.

He says my stator coil is fine and is putting out the correct amount of juice.

So far I have had to get towed from the middle of nowhere on the Needles Highway in SD, Stillwater, MN, and sundry other places. The lack of reliability is driving me nuts to the point where I'm thinking of dumping the bike.

I will be forever grateful for a solution!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 PM

i dont any answers but here is a great link to
look at
also has battery section to replacwe stock batt.
ive used the battery with no problems
and alot cheaper

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...FAQ.htm#Topics
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 06:23 AM

Hey Zeller,

I have a 02 Vstar that I bought last year. Within a couple of weeks I had the same issue with the speedometer but had no sputtering. I took it back in and was told that it was a loose connection to the speedometer; no issues since.

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Charging

If the battery is good it should measure 12.7 volts with bike off. If the charging system is working the battery should measure 14 volts with the bike running maybe reved just a little.

Dave
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, but the speedometer is fine and the battery is new. This is some kind of intermittent gremlin that is causing the charging system to stop sending power to the battery. Only happened 5X in 3 years, but when it happens I am dead in the water.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 PM

It sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Start checking, and cleaning all connectors, check for good ground at engine case, needs to be clean bright metal (no paint). You might also replace all fuses, could have a bad one.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Doug,

I did check the ground connection to the frame from the battery and that is good. The fuses you are are referring to - are they located under the seat?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 AM

I had a similar problem on my 03” V Star, where my tack and speedo went off line and my battery went dead. In “short” while traveling on the North Cascade Highway in February this year through lots of rain, a short time after the road trip I noticed that very situation accruing to my bike. It didn’t do it all the time and mostly after a rain. With a little help & encouragement from my friends I dived into the electrical connection where the voltage regulator and the other thing come together in one harness behind the cover plate on the port side and low, about the size of a small football where I noticed the harness was melted from shorting out from water. I replaced the harness and raped waterproof tape around the whole thing and haven’t had a problem since.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Wolfie - are you referring to the harness that plugs into the voltage regulator, or one that is further away from the regulator? It's located under the cover plate that is directly below the battery cover plate, correct?

Hey, I hope you "wrapped" the waterproof tape instead of "raping" it! :-)

Thanks for the tip - I'll look and see what I can see!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 PM

That's the one, from the stator to the regulator. It is a three wire set in one harness covered in a rubber boot that is open at the bottom.
Your a funny guy!!! ;-P

Last edited by wolfecon; 06-21-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode