My Star 950 Tourer - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

My Star 950 Tourer

It had been almost 30 years since I had been on a motorcycle. I gave up my Triumph Trident when my first son was born.

So about three years ago I got the bug again. I bought a used Virago 750. An awesome bike. My wife is riding it now.

But I was ready to upgrade. I researched several motorcycles in and around the one litre range. I knew for certain I wanted a touring style bike. I had culled my choice to about four bikes. My first choice was a Star 1100 Silverado with the second choice being a Triumph Bonneville-America. The third & fourth were the Star 950 & 1300.

I eliminated the Triumph as it was still chain drive and the closest dealer was 75 miles away. The touring add-ons for the Tiumph were quite expensive. My Yamaha dealer didn't have a V Star 1100 in stock so the 1100 was out as well.

So my choice was between the V Star 950 & 1300. I went with the 950 Tourer because the black Cherry color really stood out in the showroom next to a silver colored 1300. I upgraded to the medium windshield and added the front light bar.

I now have about 1000 miles on the bike and the first service was done at 610 miles. My dealer, Dan's Powersports has been awesome. I will definitely buy another bike from them in the future. Sales and service have been second to none.

Things I like about the bike...
1. There is plenty of power. I was very comfortable on the freeway. High gear almost seems like an overdrive gear. It gets around town with no problem at all. It handles curves as well as my Virago. I have never scraped the floorboards (yet), even with a some hard cornering.
2. The medium windshield is the perfect height for my 5'9" frame.
3. Fuel mileage is awesome. I have averages from 46 to 52 MPG, better than my Virago.
4. The fuel injected engine fires right up (as long as I remember to allow time to prime the injectors before hitting the start button.)
5. The rear monoshock sucks up bumps and chuckholes. The result is a very smooth ride.
6. Nice big leather covered hard saddle bags.

Some suggestions I would make for modifications on the 950...
1. Bring back the shaft drive. My belt drive is a little jerky at times like a chain.
2. Adapt the 1300 console to the 950 and eliminate it from the top of the tank. It may look great on the tank but it is difficlt to see the speedometer while wearing a helmet.
3. Do something about the seat. It is butt numbingly uncomfortable on an all day ride. I have replaced mine with a Mustang.

But, knowing what I know now, I would have paid just a little more and got the 1300. I'm not at all unhappy with the 950, quite the opposite. Like the bike. But after some riding experience on the 950 I think the 1300 would have been a better fit for my riding style. Riding two up on the 950 strains the bike a little but it is still well within the acceptable range. No problems even on long steep hills. But if you are going to ride two up, get the 1300. (Now that my wife has her license we don't ride two up any more.)

The 950T is an awesome motorcycle as long as you're not into big displacement and tons of torque. That said, the 950 has done everything I have asked it to do with plenty of power & performance in reserve. It looks much bigger than it really is but it handles nimbly. My wife will probably be taking the 950 in a couple years. By then I might be ready for that Stratoliner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3314432...n/photostream/

Last edited by Double D; 07-19-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Yes, I feel that the 950 T was the best all around bike for me to move up to. I have only ridden mine for about 1000 miles also, but it was used when I got it. It already had the power commander and cobra pipes. The 2 pipes looks so much cooler than the 1 pipe. and the sound is awesome. Yes, your wife will want to move up in a year or so to the 950 - I just love mine.
I had also thought about how strange it was to have to look down to see the speedometer... that is something I like about the 1300 better.
D

Star950Donna
Kurakyn iso grips
throttle controller
Big bar engine guards
Yamaha saddle bag guards
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 AM

I was leading a pack of bikes on to the beach on the interstate. When we stopped for gas my wife asked me what was wrong with the bike. I said nothing why. She says you look like a bobble head why do you keep looking down? I told her I couldn't see the speedometer without looking down. For some reason that was annoying to her.

I don't really pay attention to my speed when I ride alone. It was only then that I realized it probably wasn't a good placement of the speedo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:03 PM

Garage
Just finished mile #4000 on the 950, traded up from the Suzuki Savage so I'm used to the speedo in the tank. After the 650, riding on the V-star is like a dream. I can hardly tell how fast I'm going when I'm just cruising along but I will admit that I've dragged the floorboards a few times through the curves. I'm actually averaging 56 mpg with spikes up to 62 when I ride like grandma. I wouldn't trade it for anything but then I don't ride 2 up most of the time and when I do it's with my daughter so there's not much weight there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:39 AM

I have a 2010 950 T and I've put over 1300 miles on it
in just 5 weeks. LOVE IT!
I've got no problem with looking at the speedo,
takes less than a second to look and that don't seem
to hinder me at all.
I've kept mine completely stock and there is not one
thing about it that I do not love. It fits me perfect.
From the windshield, the speedo, the seat, to the
exhust, I'm happy with it all. Got all the power
and looks that I'll ever need, and my wife loves it
just as much as I do, we ride two up almost every evening.
Next month we're riding it down to Cleveland, OH from
Buffalo, NY to see the R&R Hall of Fame, can't wait.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM

any ticking on those 950's ?

I love the bike too
3500km on mine so far but I'm in a bit of a battle with Yamaha to fix my bike ..
It ticks way above and beyond what should be normal for any bike .. even with the V-stars rep for a bit of a tick ..

I've been to three dealers now and all say it's loud but all have no idea what to do or where it is coming from ....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I love the bike too
3500km on mine so far but I'm in a bit of a battle with Yamaha to fix my bike ..
It ticks way above and beyond what should be normal for any bike .. even with the V-stars rep for a bit of a tick ..

I've been to three dealers now and all say it's loud but all have no idea what to do or where it is coming from ....
Mine ticks as well. My dealer checked the valves when they did the 600 mile service. Everything was in spec. The mechanic said it was the fuel injectors making the noise. I only notice it when the bike is under a load such as a long hill or when accelerating. It appears to be typical of the engine. Just like the transmission whine was typical of the Virago.

The more miles I put on it, the more power it seems to have. Took a ride through some twisties last weekend. I drove pretty hard into a few corners. Still haven't scraped the floorboards.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Such a great bike great value

I just hope there will be some way to fix this noise problem
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Mine ticks as well. My dealer checked the valves when they did the 600 mile service. Everything was in spec. The mechanic said it was the fuel injectors making the noise. I only notice it when the bike is under a load such as a long hill or when accelerating. It appears to be typical of the engine. Just like the transmission whine was typical of the Virago.

The more miles I put on it, the more power it seems to have. Took a ride through some twisties last weekend. I drove pretty hard into a few corners. Still haven't scraped the floorboards.

I have a 2010 1300 Tourer since April w/2200 miles on it and mine also has a ticking problem. Other than that, simply Love the Bike! Completely stock. Will be going Up to Monticello, NY this weekend from NJ. Will see if more miles will quiet it up. Gas mileage ranges from 32mpg to 47mpg, depending on which I use Shell 93 works for me
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 PM

new riding position on the 2010 1300 is great

new riding position on the 2010 1300 is great

2008 was a bit too up right ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode