Brakes won't bleed????? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Brakes won't bleed?????

I'm having an issue with the brakes on my v star 1100 custom. I purchased a set of fake stainless hose and cable sleeving to cover all my clutch, throttle, and brake lines with. (FYI, they actually look pretty good, which surprised me.) Of course I had to unhook the brake lines to do this, and as expected there is a bunch of air in the lines. What I didn't expect is that I can't seem to get the lines to bleed, at all. I was getting some bubbles in my bleed jar, but now I'm not. The banjo bolts aren't really pushing fluid out either. A little bit, but not a lot. And the brake lever never even starts to get firm. Just bottoms out with no resistance at all.

Anyone got any ideas?

Help!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 11:05 AM

With bike supported and level check fluid level in front master cylinder, fill if necessary. Attach tubes to your bleeders submerge ends in jar with some fluid in it, this way there is no way for you to drag air back into system. Crack bleeders and gently/slowly squeeze brake lever to stop and hold in. Tighten bleeders and release brake lever. Repeat as necessary till no bubbles. Or go get a suction bleeder at autoparts store.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 PM

Yes, sometimes it takes several times. Be patient and work with it, the air will finally be pumped out. If I got a bad case of air, sometimes I sit the bike level, lock connections up, and let her sit overnite, sometimes the bubbles will migrate up to the master cyclinder and the next day bleeds out fine.(I leave the mas cyl cover loose overnite)

Ride Safe, Live Long

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 06-20-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode