popping with the jet kit! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

popping with the jet kit!

Hi all i'm new to buying pipes and cruisers and pretty much everything motorcycle. I bought Cobra pipes from the dealership where i bought the bike from with the jet kit they installed and i just picked it back up today. It sounds great. Except there is more popping than i care for at low speeds and when shifting. And when letting the engine break. This erks me i thought the jet kit was suppose to do away with the popping?

It sounds really good when cruising interstate or highway, (although i did notice a bit more vibration in the handlebars over 70mph), but the popping sound can't be right. Is there a break in period? Should i contact the dealer yet again and ask about this? Thanks for any help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 PM

Actually the Mikuni Tuning manual says that some crackling and popping is to be expected from a properly tuned bike with an open exhaust. What you can do to help with this is adjust the PMS screw out about 1/4-1/2 turn and or remove the AIS if you haven't already. The PMS adjust will help with the sudden leaning when you chop throttle and the AIS will help by cutting off a supply of fresh oxygenated air in the pipes.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

don't know what either of those things are haha. This noise is so annoying it's almost embarrassing. What causes backfiring/popping? I don't want to let the engine break when i'm coming down from high speeds cuz it'll pop like crazy, and when shifting up it pops almost every time i shift. calling dealership tomorrow....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 AM

The AIS (Air Induction System) adds air to your exhaust manifold. The 1/4 in diameter tubes that run to your manifolds along Left side of motor, as you sit on it. They are used to clean up emissions in your stock pipes, especially if you have catalytic converters. Did you get slipons or a full from the head cobra system? Do you do any of your work yourself? You probably won't find a dealership that will take AIS off. PMS (Primary Mixture Screws) screws adjust the fuel mixture as it steps off the primary jets. They are usually capped from the factory, but may have been uncapped by the dealership when jetting kit was added. All the info is on this link under Performance.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...ar1100-FAQ.htm

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
AIS Removed/Plugged
Pro-1 Tach
TPS Connected
Progressive 465 rear

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:49 AM

Sorry didn't answer the whole question the popping backfiring is caused by a combination of factors. 1) The sudden leaning when you shut off the gas and the engine is still turning higher revs than idle or forcing higher revs than the engine has fuel for (engine braking). 2) The introduction of fresh air into the exhaust, either through the AIS or an exhaust leak.

Opening the PMS softens this abrupt fuel transition and the removal of the AIS (only if you have no catalytic converters) will remove this air in an otherwise (no exhaust leaks) well running bike. Some will say one or the other works fine. I have found the combination of both these actions works best.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
AIS Removed/Plugged
Pro-1 Tach
TPS Connected
Progressive 465 rear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode