Greetings from a new 950 owner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Greetings from a new 950 owner

This forum has been instrumental in helping me choose a new Yamaha over a Suzuki or a Kawasaki. I just got a sweet deal on a leftover 2009 Yamaha 950 Candy Red and couldnt be happier but Im in need of some advice.

Id like to switch out the stock risers as its a stretch to reach the bars at my 52-3 frame. The bars are at the right height but I need a few more inches toward me. Ive come across Barons DT Risers Part#BA-7421RD which puts the bar 2 closer at the stock height. Does anyone know if these risers will fit my 950? Can anyone suggest other risers to check out?

Im also gonna get the bike lowered an inch or two. Baron Part#BA-7540-00 has a lowering kit that has two height adjustments, 1 or 2. I found another kit by Scootworks Part#SW-9455 that gives 3 adjustments: 1, 2 and 3. Again, does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks again for any help you can provide, and Ride Safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM

Sorry LadySavage doesn't look like those will fit. Maybe a tank clearance issue. If you go back to the Barons website and select your bike it lists a bunch of stalk risers but not the BA-7421RD. Those are for the 1100s and up.

Something you might try are some Beach Bars or Cruiser Bars. They are lower, wider and and have more pullback than the standard. As a bonus they make the bike easier to handle, especially for a smaller person. What you need to do is sit on the bike and hold your hands where they feel best (most natural) to you. Fix an imaginary line between your hands. Then have a friend measure the width between the outside edges your hands, the distance from the stock risers to the line between your hands and the height of the line above the risers. This will give you the measurements you need to select bars that fit if you decide to go that route. It will also in reverse, if you find some cool bars, figure out where your hands will be with those. Take the bar measurements and put your hands in those positions.

An advisory you may need to change or re-route cables and lines, but that holds true for a riser change also.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...

Last edited by Fulltilt1; 06-30-2010 at 07:12 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I didn't consider changing the bars. Thanks for you comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Ok, got an update. I've lowered the 950 1" using Baron Custom Lowering kit #BA-7540-00 and now I'm comfortably flatfooted. The Baron Custom Kickback risers #BA-7410U will work on the VStar 950 however longer cables are needed.

Baron does make +2" & +12" extended set of cables but I'm told I am in need of +6" cables. Can anyone point me in the right direction for these cables or it is possible to get them in a custom length?

Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM

I used these on my wifes 950 and they work great. Get the studs from a local supplier and route the stock cables behind the triple tree. They look very good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Handl...Q5fAccessories
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM

There's a guy on here named "Karnal".
He has a pic of his 950 on the "New Member Introductions" catagory.
It looks like he has some sort of hand grip extenders on it.
Not sure if that would help you or not, but might be worth a look.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Also, I got a backrest for my wifes bike and it holds you forward a bit making it more comfortable. With that and the risers, it works for her very well.

Now I can't ride the bike hardly at all. For me, it feels like I am sitting on a short stool with a gas tank in my crotch, and handlebars in my chest. :-)

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...291&s=prod.php
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM

garytj...the ad says it requires the bracket from the passenger seat...did you have to remove the passenger seat permenently, or does it "share" the bracket?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoof View Post
garytj...the ad says it requires the bracket from the passenger seat...did you have to remove the passenger seat permenently, or does it "share" the bracket?
It shares the bracket with the rear seat. So you need the rear seat installed, or the bracket is exposed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboo365 View Post
There's a guy on here named "Karnal".
He has a pic of his 950 on the "New Member Introductions" catagory.
It looks like he has some sort of hand grip extenders on it.
Not sure if that would help you or not, but might be worth a look.
Unfortunately, you're gonna have to look at the pictures and figure out exactly what that is...

I just bought the bike maybe 20 days ago - someone else took the liberty to deck the bike out with chrome, hand warmers and a throttle locker (cruise) built into the throttle... so I don't exactly know what parts on this bad boy are stock and/or upgraded. I do know the person who had it before did most of the upgrades with Yamaha accessories (big bars, bag bars and even the seat.) Now - sitting on a bone-stock 950 I did notice that the handlebars on a stock one are a bit further up and away from me.... just by looking at mine, it seems like the handlebars are just adjusted downward a bit? Not sure.... If you want I'll try to get a picture from a better vantage point.

2009 VStar 950T
1988 Kawasaki 454 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode