Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Fuel Leak on 650 Silverado

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fulltilt1 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am currently in the process of trying to sell my deceased aunt and uncle's 650 Silverado. I have had the bike in my posession since about Labor day of last year. I have had no problems with it. Starts right up, rides nice and smooth, no hiccups at all. Then I had a guy come out to look at the bike as a potential buyer, and all of the sudden it is leaking gas on start-up and idles rough and then stalls. At first we thought maybe it was just a stuck float in the carb causing a lot of overflow. but sputtering and then stalling out? It seemed like an excesive amount of fuel as well. I had a similar issue on an old car i worked on. Float was stuck in one of the carbs allowing gas to pour out, but the engine continued to run fairly decently. So then i thought maybe it was from the fuel sitting in it for this whole time and some gunk got stuck somewhere, but it has been running fine up to that point...?

Here are my questions:
1.) does this sound like just a stuck float?
2.) If so, how can i fix it wihtout tearing the bike apart?
3.) any other thoughts?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. We really need to sell this bike and i don't want to have to "drop my pants" on price because of something like this.

Thanks,
D

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like possibly a stuck float and bad gas. Try some Seafoam first to see if you can get it clean. Drain tank, refill with fresh gas and Seafoam, ride bike and repeat. the vibration and Seafoam should clean it up. If that doesn't work then youre down to cleaning them which isn't that hard, but we'll take it one step at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.