Headlight fuse keeps blowing - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Headlight fuse keeps blowing

I just bought a 1999 Vstar classic xvs650A and it has two extra lights mounted on each side of my headlight in between the turn signals. I have been riding it for a couple of weeks now and suddenly my running lights stopped working (headlight, brights, light around the speedometer) so i figured i just popped a fuse. When i pulled everything apart my headlight 15A fuse had blown, and when i removed the fuse i could see that it had melted the inside of my fuse box just under that fuse. I tried just putting a new fuse in, but it blew right away. So i went and bought a external fuse connector, took the wires out of my fuse box for the headlight and wired it up to this external fuse connector which i put a new 15A fuse in. I hooked everything back up on my bike and when i turned the key on the fuse blew right away. I tried another fuse just in case and the same thing happened. Could i have melted a ground wire? Or do you think i just have a bad connection somewhere. I havent tried to trace the wires after the fuse yet bc they are all bundled up and clustered and it was dark out when i finally finished all of this. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 08:46 AM

Garage
Exclamation timhoth

Some times you have to bit the bullet and take it too those in the know. With a meltdown it would be hard for any one to say with out being there.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 AM

I would look at the wires where it comes through the mounting bracket and crosses over to the other side. When I mounted mine I noted there was a potential for chafing so I installed some anti-chafing tubing. (See attached photo)

Additionally, check the insulation on the bulb wires themselves for wire exposure. The wire may contact the housing and cause a short.

A blown fuse often means you have a short and maybe a wire has some insulation rubbed off.

If you find an exposed wire, you can use some electrical tape, heat shrink or some liquid tape like this: http://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti...cal_Insulation

You may try disconnecting one light at a time to try to isolate where the problem lies.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passing-Lamp-001.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	216  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Cool Problem Fixed!!

Turned out to be a little yellow wire that ran back by my rear license plate that had rubbed through the wire cover on some metal and thats why my fuse kept blowing. Put some electrical tape on it and called it a day.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 06:23 PM

Tape

Tim,

Good you found the problem. The glue on electrical tape tends to get soft and tacky in hot weather and hot conditions. Then moving or comming off. You might look into soemthing like heat shrink tubing, or some way of protecting it. Maybe replacing the wire or useing the tubing Toumbstone mentioned.

Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise Dave. I ended up using some heat shrink tubing to fix the wire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode