V Star oil level? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

V Star oil level?

The V Star kinda drives me crazy with the oil level indicator. When I first got the bike, I built a center stand to check/change oil, then changed the oil & filter. When I added the correct amount of oil, as per the manual (3 qts I believe), it appeared to be over the full line.

Yesterday, months later (and ~5K miles), I put it on the stand, checked it and it appeared quite low, so I fired up the motor for a minute and checked it again. At this point I at least got an indication of oil at the bottom of the glass. I added oil carefully, checking the level, and repeating the process until it came close to full. I added well over 1/2 quart. This morning, I put it on the center stand and it is overfull again, completely filling the window.

What gives? And do I need to drain some oil (not fun!) to get the level down to full, or just let it vent to the air filter?

'02 V Star 650 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:03 PM

You can get a book on your bike for free on the internet. If your oil level is too high you must remove some oil. It will damage your seals. You should check your oil while engine is warm.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:06 PM

My bike is a 02-650 Classic. And it sure is a lot of trouble to check the oil, but some other Yamaha's are worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:07 PM

Has nobody come up with an aftermarket dipstick yet? Wouldn't that be much easier and more accurate?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Checking oil

Couple of thoughts. The bike must be fully warmed up then allowed to settle before checking oil.

Wonder if you stand keeps the bike level front to rear? The sight glass is toward the front of the engine. When I had a V Star I sat on the bike holding it up and using a mirror to see it. Never tried to be critical.

Dave
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

My stand tends to raise the rear tire just slightly. At this point, I realize I should have checked the bike after running it.

But getting back to my immediate problem - should I open up the drain plug to bleed off some oil. That's going to be a real mess. And I put expensive syn oil in it!

'02 V Star 650 Custom

Last edited by bluesjr; 10-02-2010 at 09:16 PM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 PM

bluesjr, I agree trying to ckeck the oil is a headache. This is on an 1100 Silverado, what I do is make sure all the dirty oil is out, then the book says 3.28 qt to refill w/filter, so I put in 3 qt plus 8oz, since it does not leak and does not burn oil, she is good to go till the next time. Ride worry free. Hope this can help with your problem, the sight glass is a very poor set up Ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:52 AM

Maybe you could try to siphon some with a small 1/4" hose. If it's too high you have to lower it, it will cause seals to leak and you will get oil in your breather. I bought a atv jack from Northern Tool Co modified it a little and it lifts my bike level.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 PM

I use two things 1st i took a white zip tie checked oil on level inserted tie thru filler opening you have to do a little manouvering till bottom then mark at top of opening then remoce tie and mark oil level. 2nd i purchased an aftermarket unit bolts to inside of kickstand has an angled mirror this allows you to straddle bike look down and seelevel thru site window glenn
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Instead of draining or siphoning the over-filled oil, use a sprayer from a spray bottle.
Dekraut, Dekraut, Nash40 and 1 others like this.

-----------------------
Todd Engle
Northern Indiana, USA
650 V Star owner since Feb 2009
Riding since 1978
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ic-2009--1.jpg
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode