looking to buy a vstar - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

looking to buy a vstar

hello everyone i'm new to the forums and just sold my first bike this past week it was a Kymco Venox 250. I have been looking at new bikes and am thinking about buying a VSTAR 650cc. I have a few questions first.

I want to enjoy riding on the highway and in the mtns of North Carolina. I'm 6'1 200lbs. Would this be a issue?

I'm looking to spend between 2,500-4,000 on a new bike and most of the Vstar 1100 are not in that price range. Should I wait and get a 1100 or would I be happy on a 650 for years?

any advice would be great.

Thanks,
slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Welcome to the forum. It's obviously a pretty common question - try reading through this thread: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=2716 tons of opinions on the same question as yours.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Buy what you can afford

Slim

You know what you can afford. If a 650 V Star is it I'm sure you will have lots of fun. But, you might wonder how many of those folks traded the 650 in on a bigger bike.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:09 PM

Welcome, yes Sugar Bear does agree with the guys who have posted. It all depends on how you ride and what you want in a bike, do you ride alone, do you ride backroads, ect? It could very well serve you well, or not be nearly enough, it all depends on you,and what you want. Whatever, have fun and ride safe

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 PM

Last month I moved up from my Suzuki GZ250 to a V-Star 650. I'm 5' 8" and 235 lbs and it's got no problem moving me around. I regularly ride with my neighbor who has a V-Star 1100 and it's no problem keeping up with him. It's all going to depend on what you want from your ride. I like to use it to run around town and to take weekend cruises. Bigger bikes aren't always town friendly. The 650 will run 65 all day long without a whimper so highway riding is no problem. I haven't had it on the interstate yet but don't anticipate any problems.

Good luck in whatever you decide and ride safe.

2009 V-Star 650 Classic Pearl White
2007 Suzuki GZ250 Black (sold)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

maybe you should open yourself up to looking at used bikes as well. for your size and wanting to ride through the mountains, you may want something bigger than a 650 and looking at used rides will let you do that. a bigger bike will give you more power for those mountains and some people like to go faster than 65.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM

There's a ton of used 1100's out there in that price range. You should be able to find a nice one for that price.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 AM

I looked at the 650 vs. the 950 vs. The difference was about $1,500.00. I went with the 950 just for the extra weight. Seems like the heavier the bike, the more stable a ride with more weight. Especially on the highway.

Mobile, AL
09 Vstar 950T
86 Magna VF700C
05 Ninja EX250F
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 AM

I had a Majesty 400 before I got my 950T. I started to look at the 650, but for the price difference and the way I fit on the 950 I decided on that bike. I don't regret spending the extra money for the bigger bike. The 950 can run at 70 plus all day and feels like a smaller bike. Looking into used is not a bad idea. Most people take great care of their bikes and I have seen some really mint used bikes for sale. You will not be sorry for buying a V-Star!

'09 V-Star 950 Tourer
Liquid SilverAugust 4, 2010

Current upgrades:
Passenger Foot Pads (Yamaha)
Scootworks Phat Risers w/2" pull
Hel front brake line
Tripple Whammy brake & turn controler
Yamahs Big bar engine guard
Yamaha Passing lamps

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2 View Post
Last month I moved up from my Suzuki GZ250 to a V-Star 650. I'm 5' 8" and 235 lbs and it's got no problem moving me around. I regularly ride with my neighbor who has a V-Star 1100 and it's no problem keeping up with him. It's all going to depend on what you want from your ride. I like to use it to run around town and to take weekend cruises.

how does it do up hills?

yea i'm looking around on craigslist right now plenty of VSTAR 650 but not many 1100 and if there is they mostly have 15k plus miles which is kinda high in my opinion.

I want to be able to ride around with my neighbor that has a valkyrie. Drive in the country around town in the mtns all over really.

The hardest thing for me is I can't compare any power since i'm use to a 250 and I know going up hills on that it struggled. The power of that bike is all I know really.

I found this deal here which i think is pretty good

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/1996957891.html it has 6k miles.

I might just wait a month and see if more bikes come on the market since it's getting winter now.

slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode