Breakaway Cruise Control - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Breakaway Cruise Control

After several months of thought, and a round trip from Mobile to Daytona, I finally talked myself into getting the breakaway cruise control for my 950T. They hefty price tag always stopped me before. It came in the mail yesterday (paid $179 + free shipping). I want to ask if anyone has installed it? I spent the better part of the evening getting it on there, and still can't seem to get everything just right. Had to move my front brake master cylinder assembly closer to the throttle, add the extensions that came with the breakaway, and still can't get the throttle completely free when it's on there. Pluls it doesn't "click" into position. I have to use a good bit of thumb pressure to get it engaged. Free's up fine though. Used it this morning on my 25 mile commute to work (15 on the hwy), and other than the hard engagement, it works very well. Not as pleased as I thought I would be with it, but that may be because of the 3 hours I spent last night installing it, when all claims called for a 15 min. installation. Anyone else have trouble with thiers?

Mobile, AL
09 Vstar 950T
86 Magna VF700C
05 Ninja EX250F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 AM

I've installed one. You might have to extend the "throw" under the device. Look in the instructions. There's a screw near the bottom that you loosen, then lever the bottom plate forward until it clicks into place. You then tighten the screw. Let me know if you don't get it to work and I'll send you a photo of what I mean.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I did just that, along with a few other "tweeks", and it seems to be smoother now. Great concept. Hope it lives up to it's reputation. Seems like everyone who has one agrees it was worth the investment.

Mobile, AL
09 Vstar 950T
86 Magna VF700C
05 Ninja EX250F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Garage
Hi;

Got the easycruz from Ebay for 66.00. Replaces the handlebar weight and works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EZ-CR...Q5fAccessories
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 PM

I have a breakaway on my 950 t and my wife has one on her TMAX we got them from our dealer for 199.00 ea and I had them install them both for 50.00 each.
Great product worth every penny.

Denis
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 AM

I don't have a cruise control on my bike now but I will soon. There is a great one that goes where your thumb is and cams in place. I had one on my all of my bikes until this one and I still find myself flipping my thumb when I want to loosen my grip. Weird that muscle memory thing.

2003 1100 Custom
Hard Krome Ds
Drag bars, Stage 3 & intake.
Bugs in my teeth
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

i don't want any business with cruise control on a bike. cruise control in a car makes you more comfortable and less alert so i would imagine some of that would carry over to a bike. plus you have to hit your brake to disengage. sometimes you need to make a sudden move that requires you let off the throttle but not necessarily hitting the brake and this is one extra thing to have to think about. as for hand fatigue, i have a throttle boss that relieves a lot of the energy required to throttle on or hold the throttle steady and i get no fatigue.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Went to "Biketoberfest" in Daytona this past weekend. Used the new cruise control and it was GREAT! I took the trip earlier last month and although tolerable, the 500 miles each way sure made a difference with the brakeaway! I was hesitant because of the fear of needing to slow down quickly, or get out of the way and not having to worry about disengaging the cruise control, but with 10,000 bikes on the road in Daytona, and 50 billion cars, I had to do some creative manuvering on several occasions. Each time I had to do so with the cruise control engaged, it was second nature to put my hand on the brake, even if I didn't need to actually slow down. Just tapping the brake disengages the brakeaway. I'm convinced it's a safe product. Very happy I got it. Thanks for all the comments.

Mobile, AL
09 Vstar 950T
86 Magna VF700C
05 Ninja EX250F
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:08 PM

I have the breakaway and it is great. Took some time to fine tune it but once setup it's excellent.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

I finally have it set up where it doesn't bind the throttle, and it "clicks" when engaging. Thumb release and brake release are working good as well. My question now is should you have to press that hard to engage? It seems like it takes a lot of thumb pressure to get it to lock in place. Also, how stiff do you have the grip once it is engaged?

Mobile, AL
09 Vstar 950T
86 Magna VF700C
05 Ninja EX250F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode