When to change oil... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

When to change oil...

'06 VStar 1100. I run Amsoil. I have heard conflicting reports. I am ready to park it for the winter. Should I change the oil now or wait till spring? I live in NW PA and pull it out and let it run for a half hour or so during the non-riding season about every two weeks. It is on the battery tender the rest of the time. Stored in an unheated garage. I usually change every spring, and it doesn't get more than 4K miles per year. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 06:29 AM
SSC

Its going to be your call i would not worry about it until spring. Sometimes cold starts during the winter months tend to get a little gas in the oil just depending on how long it takes to fire off. Why waste new oil.

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 06:50 AM

Garage
Had a look at the OWNER'S MANUAL and it has a word or two on STORAGE both short & long term but not a word on oil . It also has a lot of other thing to do, that I never seam to do . I have had Yamaha's for the last 27yr's and this is my first Owner's manual it seams I have been doing it wrong all my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 AM

When it comes to winter storage, on both my boat and motorhome, I've always changed the oil late fall.
You wan't fresh oil sitting in there while they sleep! (forgot what the exact reason for that was though?)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXNAUTI View Post
You wan't fresh oil sitting in there while they sleep! (forgot what the exact reason for that was though?)
I seem to remember that acids build up in the oil and you don't want your motor sitting around with acids in it.

I just had the oil changed in my VW for that reason after a one year interval between changes but only 2K miles on the car. The mechanic was astounded at the clean oil that came out. I got the feeling he though it was unnecessary - so much for following the manuals service intervals. Won't do that again.

'02 V Star 650 Custom
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXNAUTI View Post
When it comes to winter storage, on both my boat and motorhome, I've always changed the oil late fall.
I do the same. The exact reason is you don't want the acids from combustion sitting in the oil over the storage period. Change the oil and filter and put her to sleep. Wake her in the Spring and have at it.

2009 V-Star 650 Classic Pearl White
2007 Suzuki GZ250 Black (sold)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjr View Post
I seem to remember that acids build up in the oil and you don't want your motor sitting around with acids in it.

I just had the oil changed in my VW for that reason after a one year interval between changes but only 2K miles on the car. The mechanic was astounded at the clean oil that came out. I got the feeling he though it was unnecessary - so much for following the manuals service intervals. Won't do that again.
You did the right thing regardless of what you mechanic thought.

2009 V-Star 650 Classic Pearl White
2007 Suzuki GZ250 Black (sold)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
It also has a lot of other thing to do, that I never seam to do . I have had Yamaha's for the last 27yr's and this is my first Owner's manual it seams I have been doing it wrong all my life.
what do you do when your bikes explode from not following the owner's manual?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 06:47 AM

I was thinking of changing my oil befor storing it for the winter,
but now I'm not so sure. I've only put 1400 miles on since it was last changed. And I've heard a few people say not to bother, wait till spring to change it. Some of these people have had their bikes for years and never seem to have a problem from it so.....?
I'd like to see what a few more of you say befor I make a final decision.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
what do you do when your bikes explode from not following the owner's manual?
I have never had that happen. But if it does I will post it. Well off the top of my head I guess I would walk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode