Anybody made a long trip on a 650? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Anybody made a long trip on a 650?

I got an invite to go on a 3 day 2 night bike ride but not really sure if I want to do that on my new 650. I didn't buy it for that and not sure it would be a bike to do it on anyway.

We'd leave on a Friday morning and have approx 250 miles to do to get to our destination. Have Friday evening and all day Saturday to ride around and then head back on Sunday. The four guys going all hav HD 88 or 96 cubic inch bikes. Bikes made to travel. One guy's wife may go and has a Shadow 1100 A.C E. but has already said she would rather ride on the back of her hubby's bike for that kind of ride.

They did say that the first 70 miles or so would be all highway and about 90% of the rest would be roads with a mph of 45-55. They are really trying to talk me into this but I'd hate to commit and regret it 100 miles in.

It'd be fun but the 650 is just not made to run like that. I know people will say it can but trying to run 70-75 on the highway for 70 miles straight sounds like work not pleasure. If they were willing to go all backroads I think I'd go for sure. That or just go aobut 60-65 on the highway but I hate to cramp their style. I know they're just trying to be nice by inviting me to go anyway.

So, just wondering if any 650 owners out there have done any long distance rides and how do the bike do? How did you do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 PM

If you've got a windshield, I'd say go for it. I've done 190/day on my '02 Custom and I was mainly being a tourist with a lot of stops. And the Classic's are even better suited for hwys. But, if you don't have a shield, the hwy gets old in a hurry, imo.

I've got a Memphis Hellcat that sorta clips on. It comes off easily, at any rate, but it improved things so much I keep it on. <$200 for a Hellcat.

'02 V Star 650 Custom
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM

I drive from Dallas to Galvaston and the 650 does great no problems they are a very dependable machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:04 PM

my mother has a 650 Custom and she's been on a few multi-day trips with it. she's had no complaints, though she does have a windshield.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 PM

In the late 60's about 10 of us would go to the mountains, around 250miles, most bikes were 400 & 450 cc, no one ever had a problem. it's better with a windshield, but I've done it with a face shield.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM

I rode mine from Wisconsin to Sturgis and back covering just over 2000 miles in 6 days. Most of the run out and back was on the interstate, with speeds at 80 mph in South Dakota. I'll agree that I would have never thought about doing it without a windshield! I made the entire trip riding 2-up with my wife along. With the 2 of us and all the gear we were over 400 lbs of payload, and the bike did just fine! We would run at 80 mph for 100 miles and then stop for fuel. I can tell you that at that speed, your fuel mileage drops off a lot! I would get 40 to 42 on those runs, but when we were just cruising the scenic areas like Needles Highway and the Badlands, I was back up in the low 50s.

As for running with the big bikes, don't sweat it! Sure, they will leave the lights lots quicker, but I didn't feel at all out of place running with a Road King and a 1300 Venture.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM

My wife and I just got back from a 4 day 800 mile road trip from Ottawa ON to Burlington VT with stops in Lake Placid and Lake George NY. I rode my 950T and my wife rode her 500 TMAX scooter. We rode interstates and back roads at speeds up to 70 mph. The TMAX had no problems keeping up so I'm sure you will be fine on your 650.

Go enjoy the ride
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM

I have had several 300 mile trips on my Classic, mountain/canyon/interstate roads- she does great - you should have no problem. I would recommend a windshield though - for any size bike for interstate highway driving . The V * 650 is a great machine !
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 PM

My wife rides a 650 custom. Last April we rode 1700 miles in a week. We rode from Idaho to Nor Cal, through the redwoods, up 101 to Oregon and back to Idaho. All kinds of terrian, rode 18 miles in the snow, a couple hundred miles in the rain, and a lot of sunshine. Her 650 did great with her 135 lbs. and about 40 lbs of luggage. We took a few pics and had a great adventure. But we found out that she could only go 182 miles on a tank of gas.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Did she run out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode