Battery issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Battery issues

Wanting to know if anyone has had over charging issues. Have a freind with 02 Vstar that boiled all the water out of a 4mo old Battery during last sat ride, also blew headlight at the same time. Put in new battery & bulb, runs fine. Need to know what caused it and how if we can fix it. I believe it was over charging dont really know. Appreciate any help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Since it's a transient problem, working fine now, it's gonna be hard to troubleshoot. I'd start by looking in the area of the voltage regulator, for a chafed wire or terminal damage. Definitely sounds like an over-charging incident to me. Could also be a Regulator/Rectifier going bad, but most go the other way and undercharge the battery.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...

Last edited by Fulltilt1; 10-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 PM

It's possible that a shorted battery might cause the alternator to constantly charge at around 14 volts and that could blow the bulb. In the late 60's and early 70's you had to run lights on some bikes to keep the battery from boiling over. Anytime I had a new bike I would put the battery inside multiple plastic bags until I could check the bike out. In 1974 a friend bought a brain new 1200cc full dress HD, He was going on a long trip, I told him to put the battery in a bag until he checked it out, he immediately let me know that a HD was a high quality American made Motorcycle. When he got back from his trip all the chrome from the battery back on one side of his Motorcycle was ruined. It cost too much for him to replace it, I didn't say a word but one day he did tell me that he wished he had listened to me. You should learn from other peoples experiences, if you don't at least listen then you get what you deserve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM

LOL My brother got a used Honda 125 around then, '75 I think, to ride to school and it had had the Headlight switch in the handlebar control go bad. It had been replaced with an on/off/on toggle switch mounted in headlight bucket. When ever you'd turn the headlight off the Speedo lights got real bright. Finally figured out the Lighting Coil wires were just tied together and needed to be switched too.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 PM

Around 69/70 the Honda's would boil the battery over unless you ran some lights.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
Around 69/70 the Honda's would boil the battery over unless you ran some lights.
Funny I had 4 Honda's around that time 65/75 and never had a single one boil the battery.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 PM

Regulator

I think I would check the battery voltage just in case the regulator is bad. A fully charged battery with the motor running and reved a little should limit around 14 volts. You don't want a repeat. Symptoms might not show up untill you run at higher RPM for a while.

Check this out.
http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...8.htm#Charging System

Dave
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:19 PM

Farmalldanzil, all of them didn't have a problem, some of them did. At the time I worked part time for the Honda Dealer. About 10 of us would go to the Mountains an some bikes had the problem. At 60 mph a little acid could do a lot of damage. Its hell on chrome.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the input. Thanks Dave I will be checking this ASAP.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Lighting coils deliver Alternating current to the rectifier-Regulator. Modern Rectifiers are of the diode bridge construction rather than the ancient(!) selenium plate single sided ones found in the older hondas. The Bridge type must always have a load on the DC side (battery in good shape) or the diode junctions break down, actually they cook and become 2 way conductors. If the battery was ever removed while the engine was running, it probably blew out the rectifier. A/C will boil a battery in a hurry and the regulator (another zener diode) has no idea what to do with A/C. If the lights get brighter as the engine speed increase from mid-range on up, then the rectifier is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode