V Star Classic Silverado parked long term - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

V Star Classic Silverado parked long term

I've the battery on a tender but what about the oil? The bike will be parked for about 6 months, I've taken care of the gas and the battery. No one will be available to start it on occasion to run the oil through it. Any suggestions about start up? Should I drain the oil before putting it in storage? Should I change the oil as soon as I can after getting it going?

What're the problems with parking the bike long-term? Flat sided tires? Wish I could drive it but impossible.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 PM

I usually change the oil after the first ride of the season and i have never had any problems. i dont know if you should or shouldnt that is just what i do and have done for the last 15 years. i think if the oil sits too long( i dont know what too long is) it can become slightly acidic and is probably not good for your engine. i havnt put mine up yet and when i do its only for about 3 months so it doesnt sit for long anyways.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 PM

for 6 months storage i would change the oil then run it to get it hot probably a nice ride at least a half hour. This will evaporate off any residual moisture and keep oxidation to a minimum.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Put mine up this weekend. Changed the oil and filter, removed the battery (put on tender all winter in heated shop), filled the fuel tank full and added stabilizer (to prevent the inside of the tank rusting), and shut off the fuel at the petcock. The bike is stored in a garage with other summer toys, so nobody even opens the door all winter, hopefully preventing temperature swings and the resulting condensation.

I've always stored it on the sidestand, never had a problem in the spring with tires. As far as the oil is concerned, besides having the oil being acidic, the first thing I do in the spring is take the bike for a 300 km ride (it's stored out on the farm). I don't want to worry about doing an oil change then. I like to check the bike over, hop on, and go! (I think a fresh oil change and a full tank of gas says, "RIDE ME NOW!!" better than anything else, don't you... )
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM

I probably over do it but I change the oil and filter before putting the bikes away. Replace the oil when I'm ready to get them out (but leave the filter).
Other than that the standard full tank, stabilizer, fuel off/run it dry, battery tender. I also store this one on the side stand.
Bikes are in a heated garage all winter never dropping below 55.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

stored bike

Madski said he turns off petcock and runs it dry. Stabil in the gas.

No one else said they run it dry. Do you and just didn't say? Will it varnish with the stabil in it? I've let it sit 2 months without running it dry. But this is 6.

I don't have a problem with running it dry, just axing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky1845 View Post
Madski said he turns off petcock and runs it dry. Stabil in the gas.

No one else said they run it dry. Do you and just didn't say? Will it varnish with the stabil in it? I've let it sit 2 months without running it dry. But this is 6.

I don't have a problem with running it dry, just axing.
Sugar Bear don't run er dry, but when cold weather comes, always uses stabil, he trys to get a few miles in over the winter when the weather allows, but can say, never had a problem with lawn mowers, chain saws, power washer ect by using Stabil, a pull or three and they fire right off in the spring. Got you on the axing , Ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 PM

I used to run all my equipment dry before storage. Since I started using stabilizer I don't bother. Never had a problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 PM

These days it probably does not matter, especially if you are using stabilizer. Not like I run my FI bikes' injectors dry. I guess it's sort of an old habit - does not hurt to run a carb'd motor dry either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode