winter storage - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

winter storage

Im going to be storing my bike soon and Ive read other peoples threads where they turn off the petcok and run the carbs dry. would running the carbs dry harm the electric fuel pump on my 02 Vstar ? my last bike used gravity feed to the carbs so this was never an issue.

02 Vstar 1100 classic
Samson Warloard Ripsaws
chubby pod kit/maxair pms screws
barons ork
kuryakyn isso grips
breakaway cruise cont.
driver backrest
barons DT risers
barons tackometer
oem passing lights
crome visors on all lights & signals
drag highway pegs
viking studded bags
sissy bar with rack
studded front and rear seats
studded gas tank bib with pouch
clocks for bikes- stem mount
Ram mount& hard wire for GARMIN GPS
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Its fairly low pressure, just take lines off and plug with bolts. I don't do that. I usually just put "Stabil" in the full tank and ride it for ten minutes or so and then just turn off petcock. "Stabil" will keep the gas good for 6 months. The full tank keeps condensation from causing rust to a minimum.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 06:17 AM

Garage
And some more Storage tips. Remove the plugs, put teaspoonful of oil in ea. bore
Lube all cables,pivoting points. Air up tires. Cover muffler outlet. Lift bike so the wheels
are off the ground. Remove the battery.(A lot of work-but for long term-good thing)

Per-MAM-Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Banned

I've done "Stabil" or "Seafoam" in the full tank of gas over the wintertime. Last few years it's been Seafoam (use as directed).
Battery stays in but on the tender. I disconnect it a few times over the winter just to fire it up and run it at idle for 5 or 10 minutes. Mostly because I miss riding it and hearing it run.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 PM

Garage
Wow, I wouldn't know what to do if I had the bike up for that long. It drove me crazy not to ride for three days for the rain. I usually bundle up with sweat pants and chaps over my legs and a fleece under a lined leather jacket with a mask for the face and keep on riding.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydtiger1971 View Post
Wow, I wouldn't know what to do if I had the bike up for that long. It drove me crazy not to ride for three days for the rain. I usually bundle up with sweat pants and chaps over my legs and a fleece under a lined leather jacket with a mask for the face and keep on riding.
I wish it was just about the cold. But black ice gets covered with sand and salt. But getting older is causing my minimum tolerable temperature to go up some.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
I wish it was just about the cold. But black ice gets covered with sand and salt. But getting older is causing my minimum tolerable temperature to go up some.
That's unfortunate, I was afraid someone would mention that getting older thing. I will admit the grey is just starting in my beard and I was hoping it wouldn't slow me down too much.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydtiger1971 View Post
That's unfortunate, I was afraid someone would mention that getting older thing. I will admit the grey is just starting in my beard and I was hoping it wouldn't slow me down too much.
It looked like it was going to be a constant that the minimum temperature was almost a dead equal with my age. In my teens cold - snow, sleet, didn't matter, as long as my dirt bike would start, I rode it. In my 20's and 30's it was common to just decide if I needed to wear my snowmobile suit on the ride to work. In my 50's now and I can handle any temperature in the 40's MINIMUM. Colder than that and I take the SD-F350.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Garage
Makes me glad to live in the south, we only have about 3 weeks of weather below 40. Come on down, we'll make room. We don't even have to worry about a double dip recession, we haven't recovered from the first one yet.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

I'll visit but I need my winters. This is the dull period. Too cold to ride but waiting for snow and then it's time to fire up the sleds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode