First Bike: Can anyone tell me about the Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

First Bike: Can anyone tell me about the Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado?

Hello, I am looking at getting a 2002 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado for my first bike. My wife and I really want Harleys, but have decided that we should each get something in the $3000-$4000 range to start off on and use while we are saving up for our dream Harleys. It has been easy picking a bike for her. She wants a cruiser style in that price range, which with some reviews and opinions, I am pretty much left with going with the Honda Rebel for her.

I, on the other hand, am a bit more challenging. I am 5'9 260 lbs. I look like a gorilla riding a football when I am on a Rebel or a Sportster, not to mention the suspension on both of those bottom out as soon as I sit on them. So, I can either wait and save up for a Fat Boy, Fat Bob, or Road King, or find something to start out on. I have been researching larger size bikes in my price range and have found that the 2002 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado fits my needs and budget. The bad news is, I know nothing about the bike. I have heard mostly good things, except for the brakes, seat, and maximum highway performance. We don't plan on doing a lot of highway/interstate driving in the beginning so I am not too concerned with that, as far as the seat, I figure I can always get a nice Corbin somewhere down the line if it becomes a problem, but I am very concerned about the brakes. The rear brake is a drum set-up. Does anyone make a conversion kit for this bike? Any information on this bike at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info! That was just what I was looking for. I found a 1999 1100 with 10K miles that I could possibly get for $2500 Would you recommend that or a 2002 VStar 650 Silverado with 18k miles for the same money?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:53 PM

Garage
It is my observation that the 1100 would make a great bike, most of additions can be put on either the 650 or the 1100 so the difference looks to be just the size of the motor. I was in the same dilemma with the 950 or the 1300. I bought the 950 for the fuel economy and added a sissy bar, luggage rack, and forward controls for the 1300. There is also the amount of miles and how the bikes were treated to consider. A bike with 40k that has been kept inside and properly maintained would be a better buy over a 12k bike that's been left in the weather and hasn't had an oil change yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 AM

I just got in my first couple of quick rides on my "new-to-me" 2002 650 classic with 9800 miles on it.
I'm brandy new to this - never ridden (except for the old mini/dirt bikes back in my youth). I'm 6'-1", 210 lbs.
Grabbed this beauty figuring it would be a nice starter bike.
First impressions - LOVE IT!
Getting use to size/weight came quick. Very comfortable ride, good seat/handlebar position.
I'll get out every fairly warm day I can this winter, slow speed practice in the schoolyard and cruising around the backroads in town. Then taking saftey course in Spring.
She's in the shop right now getting brand new sneakers - White Wall Metzelers.
Thinking I may add forward extentions over the winter just to make her even more comfortable.
Thought she'd just be a short-lived starter bike, but for my planned type of pleasure riding, she just might stick around a lot longer than I thought

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late"
2002 V-Star 650 Classic - Pics & Mods: http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...nannmc/V-Star/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXNAUTI View Post
... She's in the shop right now getting brand new sneakers - White Wall Metzelers. ...
Now you definitely have to post pictures after you get her back. I want to see what the white walls look like so I can get an idea if I want them for my pearl white 650 Classic when the time comes.

As for the OP. I started this year out on a Suzuki GZ250 which was a great starter bike. By August I started looking to trade up. I found a 2009 pearl white V-Star 650 Classic for $4k with 1287 miles on it and snatched it up. It was just the bike I was looking for and I haven't been disappointed. I knew very fast that this bike was going to be around for a long time so I dressed her up with the Silverado windshield, the Silverado saddle bags, a Baron highway bar, handle bar clock, luggage rack and trunk. It already had the sissy bar so I made a Silverado out of her. I really like the running boards and heal/toe shifter. I look for every excuse to ride her. My only complaint? The front brakes squeal.

I am 5' 8" and 235 lbs and she has no problem lugging me around. Plenty of pep, keeps up with my friends bike and an overall joy to ride. You won't be disappointed with a V-Star 650.

2009 V-Star 650 Classic Pearl White
2007 Suzuki GZ250 Black (sold)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXNAUTI View Post
I just got in my first couple of quick rides on my "new-to-me" 2002 650 classic with 9800 miles on it.
I'm brandy new to this - never ridden (except for the old mini/dirt bikes back in my youth). I'm 6'-1", 210 lbs.
Grabbed this beauty figuring it would be a nice starter bike.
First impressions - LOVE IT!
Getting use to size/weight came quick. Very comfortable ride, good seat/handlebar position.
I'll get out every fairly warm day I can this winter, slow speed practice in the schoolyard and cruising around the backroads in town. Then taking saftey course in Spring.
She's in the shop right now getting brand new sneakers - White Wall Metzelers.
Thinking I may add forward extentions over the winter just to make her even more comfortable.
Thought she'd just be a short-lived starter bike, but for my planned type of pleasure riding, she just might stick around a lot longer than I thought
Can't wait to see the pictures. Forward extensions could help alot.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2 View Post
My only complaint? The front brakes squeal
I have a friend with a 650 and he seems to have the same issue with the front brakes. Warm or cold, they squeal a bit; almost to the point of thinking that it's the wear indicators - but it's not. Probably just the pad compound; might try swapping them out for a different formulation? Dunno....

2009 VStar 950T
1988 Kawasaki 454 LTD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnal View Post
I have a friend with a 650 and he seems to have the same issue with the front brakes. Warm or cold, they squeal a bit; almost to the point of thinking that it's the wear indicators - but it's not. Probably just the pad compound; might try swapping them out for a different formulation? Dunno....
Yeah, I figure the same thing. I'm going to pull the caliper sometime in the future and rough the pads up first to see if they just glazed. If not I'll replace them.

2009 V-Star 650 Classic Pearl White
2007 Suzuki GZ250 Black (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode