How well have your V-Star saddlebags held up? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb How well have your V-Star saddlebags held up?

I'm considering purchasing a set of Yamaha hard leather saddlebags for the V-Star 1300. A few sets that I've seen on bikes seem to indicate that they don't wear very well. Looks like the leather starts separating from the hard plastic shell, making it look "loose". Has anyone had a similar (or different) experience? Considering that they're $1,000, I would hope they'd continue to look good. Alternatively, has anyone mounted a nice set of hard shell bags I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:05 PM

Bags

I don't have a 1300 but some of the same apply to the Liner. I don't believe the the leather is glued to the hard inner. But attached at the top and bottom. At one point they started looking kind of drab and got loose. This may depend on what you use to clean them. Yamaha recommends Mink Oil in my book.

To correct the broblem I cleaned the bags with Murphey's Oil Soap and water, then treated them with Doc Bailey's Leather Black. The leather tightened up and they looked new again.

Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Like Dave , I don't have a 1300 either. my bags on my 1100 Silverado(stock) are now comin up 5 years old, I have had good luck just douchin them down with Armor All, that's what has worked well for me. So far, they are holding up very well. That's just another idea

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:03 PM

I have a 950 Tourer. I 've had it one season now, but I wiped them down good with the mink oil that came with the bike, and they've held up very well. No problems with the leather comming loose at all, they're very tight, smooth and water repellant. So I recommend them,and recommend using the mink oil. Has worked well for me, and makes them look very nice and shinny too.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul

Last edited by taboo365; 10-31-2010 at 11:07 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 AM

I also have a 950 Tourer, and my bags look great with regular cleaning and maintenace with leather protectant. The only problem I have had is with one of locks, seems it sat out in the sun too long one day. It may have slightly melted a plastic piece inside. I might have to replace it. Oh and some numnut rubbed up against and scratched the bag on the left. I would recommend them, I'm completely happy with mine.

Perry461
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Question

Speaking of saddlebags..

The front edge of the lid on my left saddlebag is curled up.

It doesn't affect functionality, I've never had a drop of water in the bag, but it looks goofy. Any suggestions on how to get it to lay (and stay) flat again?

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 PM

I have cheap leather bags that work ok, my tire burned bottom so i repaired them and after adding the bag supports it eliminated the problem. I just bought some much bigger leather bags at a bike show for 99.00, havent installed yet thought.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Garage
That's good to hear, I have a set coming next week for my birthday.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 AM

when i first got my bike i applied several VERY liberal coatings with the mink oil supplied (the whole can!)...two weeks ago i got caught in a day long rain and the bike was uncovered...i immediately dried the bike (bags included) and for the next 4-5 days i had the outer leather skin loosen up and separate and look winkled...i was going to take it in and try to get the bags replaced (under warranty) but brfore i did, the skin re-tightened and the bags went back to the "looks good" condition...i have had a little trouble with the one of the inner plastic locking mechanisms. But overall, i am still very satisfied with my selection of the 950T with it's saddlebags, and would buy the bike again tommorrow...the bags are great. the woofman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode