V Star 650 "throwing rod" problem typical? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

V Star 650 "throwing rod" problem typical?

Hello,
I am researching my first bike and have pretty much narrowed it down to a 2002 V Star 650 and a 2002 Honda Shadow Aero 750. The Honda people are telling me that V Stars are notorious for "throwing rods" at about 30-40k miles. I must admit that I'm not much of a mechanic, so I have no idea what this means, but apparently it is something that pretty much ruins the engine. What do you all think about this info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Well, Ol Sugar Bear will be the first to admit he seems to be old fashioned and out of touch with lots of folks here, but in his time to now, he must say he has never heard that. Be that Yamaha or any other bike (brand) Really don't think that(throwin a rod) would ever be an issue Been ridin for a while, not me or anyone I know has ever throwed a rod, I'm sure it has happened somewhere, sometime, but never in my world. Maybe other folks have a much better answer than this one. Ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:41 PM

Bashing

BG,

Been reading here for a couple of years. I have never seen a post of someone with this probem. Don't remember an engine failure of anykind actually.

Unfortunatly many bikers like to bash brands of bikes other than their own. Often like to believe it. Specially sales people. My opinion this is what is happening there.

Ask yourself, how many worn out Jap bike of any brand have you seen? Any Yamaha or Honda either one will go far beyond that. My Liner has near 50k with no failures.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:55 PM

Garage
Ok, wasn't aware that bikes had rods to throw. Mainly because the two bikes I've owned never had any major mechanical problems no matter how much I've tinkered. Unlike many cars where I've thrown a rod this does not seem to be a problem that has been posted where I've been reading.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 PM

Just look at how long Yamaha has been using the same 650 engine, that should tell you a lot. Watch out for a dealer that lies.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGAndrea View Post
Hello,
I am researching my first bike and have pretty much narrowed it down to a 2002 V Star 650 and a 2002 Honda Shadow Aero 750. The Honda people are telling me that V Stars are notorious for "throwing rods" at about 30-40k miles. I must admit that I'm not much of a mechanic, so I have no idea what this means, but apparently it is something that pretty much ruins the engine. What do you all think about this info?
I think your Honda dealer is trying to make a sale. If they'd lie about that then think of what they'll lie about with thier own product.

2009 V-Star 650 Classic Pearl White
2007 Suzuki GZ250 Black (sold)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 AM

I thought I had done pretty thourough research before just buying my 650, gotta say - never saw that mentioned anywhere?

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late"
2002 V-Star 650 Classic - Pics & Mods: http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...nannmc/V-Star/
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM

The only recent bike I have heard of having rod (or rod bearing) failures was the 06 (and I think some 07) R6's - WHOLE different animal from the 650.
Hardley aside, it's pretty rare to hear consitent bottom end or for that matter top end failures in v-twin motors from the big 4. These are not like high performance motors that are pushing the envelope. There are old, proven technology that just keeps on ticking.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Most likely the only problem you will ever have with the 650 engine is the pick-up coil for the ignition. It's located down in the crankcase, in hot engine oil, and over time, it will fail.
Of course this is true of any engine where the pick-up coil is in hot engine oil.

Very, very reliable engines.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:23 PM

The man's a SALES man. I'm a marine diesel mech and I've seen a few connector rods let go and basically your engine is toast. To answer your question, the "rod" is the connecting rod that connects the piston head to the crank. If it breaks it can be pushed right through the crank case and or just beat the crap out of the engine. I don't pretend to have alot of experience with the 650 but when deciding on a bike, mechanical reliability was something I looked into and heard nothing about the V star 650 "throwing rods".

Bluenose lost on the Left coast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode