Cold Weather Riding - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Cold Weather Riding

I'd do a lot more cold weather riding if I could just keep my hands warm! I currently have a pair of non-insulated (or very lightly) leather gloves for my primary riding gloves. Does the group here have any recommendations for cold weather gloves?

I have the Oxford Hothands heated over-grips installed; this helps my palm and fingers stay somewhat warm. The wind moving over the top of my hand and fingers though - still leave them a bit cold. I bought a pair of "work gloves" at a gas station that I put over my leathers - it helped a little, but I'd much rather just have a nice looking pair of gloves to wear.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

2009 VStar 950T
1988 Kawasaki 454 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Banned

I have a pair of Gerbing heated gloves - comes with a wire harness to connect to the battery.

Observation this morning here in N.E.

All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
My hands are warm
The rest of me is blue

Last edited by stratowart; 11-02-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: zpelling
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 AM

I don't know what brand they are, but I have a pair of leather gauntlet-style gloves. They have vinyl rain covers that store in a pouch on the back of each glove. I put the covers on for some additional wind protection, and it seems to make a big difference. It was 28 degrees on my ride to work this morning, which is 18 miles, all highway, and my fingers weren't even slightly cold (toes were a different story ). I don't know how much farther I'd want to go without some additional protection but it works for me.

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 03:10 PM

I have a pair of, essentially, snowmobile gloves. They are NOT ideal in terms of feel and control manipulation but, given that the Strat has very few controls to manipulate vs. say, a HD, it's not a problem.

They are safe in terms of not slipping off the controls, just rather cumbersome. I view it as a challenge, an easy challenge, to get used to them, turn signal, clutch work, throttle and break. I can hit the horn and hi beams as well, no problems, just some getting used to.

It's them or not ride at this point and not riding is not an option.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 PM

I have several pair of gloves. To ride to work and back I use winter gloves that have thinsulate. They work okay for the 20 min commute. For longer rides, I slide a hand warmer packet in the tops of them.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

oh man - you guys would love heated gloves. I'm telling the truth when I say sometimes I need to go faster to cool them down. I doubt that excuse would buy my way out of a speeding ticket.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 PM

I've already put my bike away for the winter.
If I wanted to ride in the cold, I'd buy a snowmobile.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:55 PM

Garage
As I have typed before, we only have a couple of weeks of cold weather most of the time so I just wear sweat pants over jeans and under the chaps, with a fleece under a leather jacket and a fleece face mask. I picked up a pair of leather gloves at a motorcycle show a few years ago that are made for winter riding. So far I've not gotten cold enough to turn around and go home before I was ready to turn around and go home.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:34 PM

Quite a few years ago in tech school I rode a week in single digits. cold enough to ice my carburetors and ice the inside of my non-vented full face shield. Jeans and long-johns below and a ski jacket up top all covered in a rubberized rain suit. Insulated boots and Gortex Survival mittens lined with Thinsulate and additional wool liners.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 PM

I've been known to ride in below-zero weather. Best pair of biker gloves I had were a pair of ski gloves. They allowed no wind through. They eventually wore out though. I bought a pair of leather gauntlets last year but they aren't all that wind-proof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode