Speedometer off, Star 1300 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Cool Speedometer off, Star 1300

With my GPS it is obvious the speedometer is reading 5 to 6 mph high. Is there a screw to calibrate or a black box I can install to bring speed closer to being accurate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM

http://www.tobefast.com/speedo-heale...i-pr-4447.html

This item or one like it is what you are looking for.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:24 PM

My 950 is the same way. It is about 10 % off. The dealer said I just need to live with it. Folks on this forum said it is the norm. It still bothers me. I now have almost 8k miles on it according to the odo. That means that it has only 7200 real miles. If I go to sell it, how do I explain that to a potential new buyer and have them believe me. I also think that I am getting shorted on warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:22 PM

Odometer

I wonder if you ever checked the odometer with the mile posts on an Interstate to see if the odometer is off the same? Speedometer is a different movement even if they have the same source.

Nearly all speedometers are off two or three MPH at 60 MPH. Six MPH seems like a lot. But some of my buddies have had near that.

Dave
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 PM

They are not necessarily tied together the mileage comes off of a hall effect sensor that sends pulses these are counted and a certain number of pulses yields a mile. The speed is a movement dependent on the resultant voltage from how close the pulses are together and this voltage drives the needle around. If this needle isn't calibrated correctly you get the situation where your mileage is right and your speed is indicated incorrectly.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltilt1 View Post
They are not necessarily tied together the mileage comes off of a hall effect sensor that sends pulses these are counted and a certain number of pulses yields a mile. The speed is a movement dependent on the resultant voltage from how close the pulses are together and this voltage drives the needle around. If this needle isn't calibrated correctly you get the situation where your mileage is right and your speed is indicated incorrectly.
You know the Harley Davidson dealership claims they are the only one's with accurate speedometers.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
If I go to sell it, how do I explain that to a potential new buyer and have them believe me.
uh, don't. don't sell it and don't tell others that the speedo is off. it's not a defect on the bike and seems to be the norm across the industry. i have a 950 as well and actually like that my actual speed is lower so i'm not in as much danger of getting pulled over for speeding.

on a related note, i was averaging about 90mph (on the speedo) through Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama on my recent rode trip and passed numerous cops at or close to this speed and didn't get a single chaser. even at a discounted speed, i was still doing well over the speed limit. cops just don't tend to want to pull over cruisers i guess.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Speed-O-Healer

Thanks for the suggestion, going to try one
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltilt1 View Post
That would be an interesting thing to check... Need to get someone to test it with GPS and see if that is the case. It would also be interesting to see if and how the odo is effected if you install a speedohealer or the like.

I have a speedohealer on my R1 but I'm too lazy to do it
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:58 PM

My speedometer reads high also (according to the handy-dandy "your speed is" signs through town), but I thought I checked my odometer once and it was pretty accurate. Around here most of our roads are straight north/south and east/west, separated by an even mile (which makes for some boring rides). Maybe I'll check again on the ride home from work today..

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode