Vstar 1100 Cam gear alignment question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Vstar 1100 Cam gear alignment question

Replacing the starter clutch on my VStar 1100. When replacing the flywheel I need to ensure the alignment of the crank and cam assembly is set correctly. Per the manual I must align the crank key with the white dot on the lower cam gear (see attached photo), after having rotated the engine until the white dot on the top gear aligns with the notch on the housing - to give TDC. However, no matter how many times I rotate the cam assembly the top gear at best is about 2 teeth misaligned with the notch. You can see this in the attached photo. Since I didn't need to disassemble the cam gears and chain I have no explanation for this, except if this is how it was when I started. Does anyone know if this much off is common or acceptable. The manual says factory retarding can be set to as much as a 1/2 a tooth off. Just need to know if I am missing something here. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam alignment.jpg
Views:	7274
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	468  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 PM

Timing

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...0Procedure.pdf

Does this align every twelve revolutions thing help?

Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. The pictures and description give me enough to understand what needs to be done. I also read on another forum there are many examples of factory settings with misaligned dots - although of course the timing itself was correct - just the the timing cogs were installed a little off. So I will follow the description in the article you linked me to, when settings TDC - and the rest will follow. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode