V Star- 650 / 950 comparison - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Question V Star- 650 / 950 comparison

I currently have a 650 Classic. It is the only bike that I have driven at highway speeds of 75 mph. I love the Bike , but have been thinking about the 950. For those of you that have ridden both the 650 and 950, are there significant changes between the two that would justify my upgrading to the 950 ( vibration, stability etc.)

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:30 PM

The 950, with its FI and belt drive is much more powerful and smoother than the 650 , in highway riding. More power, lower RPMs, and a longer wheelbase make the 950 more enjoyable on longer rides. It is also heavier, but not noticably so, unless you have strong crosswinds. I had ridden my 650 to Waco Tx. And back from Dallas, Tx.about a year ago. While it was doable, the stock seat just wasn't all that comfortable. Just last month, I rode my 950T through Waco, all the way past Austin, and was much more comfortable with the stock seat. Mileage on both bikes was comparible, but the 950 gets the nod for the greater horsepower. HTH!

The First Amendment does NOT give you the right to LIE! The Second Amendment helps preserve the others!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM

650/950

A buddy of mine traded his 650 for a 950. He was very happy. He felt that the heaver bike was easer to ride. Smoother and more power made it more at home on the highway. Balance is lower. Weight is evenly distributed.

Of course it costs more and is a newer design, so it should be.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 PM

I have never ridden a 650 v star. I had a 650 maxim, but not the same thing.
But I do own a v star 950T now and it's everything I could ask out of a bike, way better than the HD sportster I had.
My wife and I rode the 950 to Cleveland, Ohio, from Buffalo, NY and back this past summer and it was no problem crusing two up at 80mph on the interstate, about a 4 hour trip each way. Very comfortable and very easy going.
I definitely recomend it. And get the tourer, it's worth the extra few bucks for the winshield, bags and backrest.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 PM

I ride a 950, my wife rides a 650. There is a big difference in how they ride. On the 650, you feel the torque from the shaft when you go around corners like in my subdivision. Not so noticeable on the highway. The suspension is a lot softer on the 650. The 950 feels like a more solid bike. It feels like her 650 is a lot smaller bike even though it not all that much smaller than the 950. She wants a bigger bike now.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 PM

Garage
I went through the same dilemma last year and upgraded from a 650 to the 950. The difference was phenomenal, Usually I cruised around the back roads at 50 to 55 (lots of curves) and felt like I was flying and would avoid the highway at every opportunity, although it would do highway speeds without a problem. When I changed to the 950 and started home I was cruising through the same curves thinking it was around 55 and looked down to see the speedometer was at 70 and I wasn't even scraping the floorboards yet. I still miss the 650 every so often but wouldn't give up the 950 for it for any reason.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

everyone is pretty much agreed on the advantages of the 950 over the 650. just to balance it out a little, i'll give you one disadvantage. almost NOBODY makes aftermarket parts for the 950. so if you want to customize yours, you will be limited.

when i picked up my '09 950 i knew it would take time for companies to come out with parts that were specific to or at least matched the 950, but the bike has been out for 2 years now and i haven't seen much improvement. i've managed to upgrade the hell out of mine and pretty much the way that i want it to look up till this point, but i've had to do tons of research to be able to do so, to find the part that i want or find an alternative.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 07:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
everyone is pretty much agreed on the advantages of the 950 over the 650. just to balance it out a little, i'll give you one disadvantage. almost NOBODY makes aftermarket parts for the 950. so if you want to customize yours, you will be limited.

when i picked up my '09 950 i knew it would take time for companies to come out with parts that were specific to or at least matched the 950, but the bike has been out for 2 years now and i haven't seen much improvement. i've managed to upgrade the hell out of mine and pretty much the way that i want it to look up till this point, but i've had to do tons of research to be able to do so, to find the part that i want or find an alternative.
I will agree, my saddlebags, sissybar, forward controls, and all the other add on's have been made for the 1300 vstar, they work but they're not made for the 950
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:37 AM

Wish I could afford a 950!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 04:26 PM

I moved from a 650 to a 950 and here is a summary of the things I found different:

Belt drive (quieter), rear disc hydraulic brake (better braking), electronic fuel injection (no more choking, just turn the key and hit the starter button, nice fuel mapping on fuel injection system (good response under all conditions), 600 pound bike (feel it in the ride but very nimble), long bike (better ride), Low seat but, bike is a bit wider, still good flat foot stance Im 56, low fuel indicator, low oil indicator, crankcase dipstick, spin on oil filter, clutch feels good with nice friction zone for low speed turns and smooth shift, lots more power (gotta watch speed closer), floor boards (heel toe rocker on shifter nice to shift and floor boards reduce air up pants legs), two trip odometers, cast wheels (uses tubeless tires), longer more swept back handlebars to compensate for longer bike, mileage 55 mpg average, overall very pleased with it.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode