Winter blues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Winter blues

For those of us who live where the climate keeps us from riding during the Winter months we sure have it rough. Okay, I'm just doing some whining and wonderd who else feels the same way. I put my bike away the week before Thanksgiving and that seems like 6 months ago. The last few rides were just too cold to really enjoy, more pain than pleasure. Spring can't get here fast enough in my opinion.

If you live in the south and are riding daily you're lucky! I've got a few more months to go before I can hit he road.

Last edited by Dave; 09-10-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:53 AM

I feel your pain. On Saturday I was excited, thinking "woo hoo, it's January, only 12 (or so) more weeks until riding season!"

The best I can do is pull the bike out of the garage every week or so and run it for a while. In fact, that's on my agenda for today. Another day of dreaming...

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM

I have a different take....living in Texas means year long riding for the most part, but most unfortunately, a broken left left leg has had me sidelined since the first of December with another four weeks to go 'til I can ride again.

So, I can sympathize with those in snowy/cold climates. It sucks to constantly look into the garage and see my ride just sitting there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM

The other thing I find myself doing, and I don't know if it makes the itch better or worse, is watching riding videos on youtube from places like the Dragon and Devil's Triangle. Not as good as actually riding, but fun to watch. I even find myself leaning in my chair on the curves . My wife just rolls her eyes at me .

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDar View Post
The other thing I find myself doing, and I don't know if it makes the itch better or worse, is watching riding videos on youtube from places like the Dragon and Devil's Triangle. Not as good as actually riding, but fun to watch. I even find myself leaning in my chair on the curves . My wife just rolls her eyes at me .
Wait till she catches you in the garage sitting on the bike making vroom-vroom sounds
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Garage
Saturday was a balmy 48 degrees in central CT. Went for a nice long ride.

Heated gloves, two pairs of long johns under jeans, a sock cap and gaiter, and 3-layers under my leather jacket make it not too bad to go for a ride when it gets below 35 degrees. Of course, it takes me Ĺ an hour to get ready, but itís better than just sitting on the bike in my garage (Which is what I did yesterday with the rain in the northeast).
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar154 View Post
I have a different take....living in Texas means year long riding for the most part, but most unfortunately, a broken left left leg has had me sidelined since the first of December with another four weeks to go 'til I can ride again.

So, I can sympathize with those in snowy/cold climates. It sucks to constantly look into the garage and see my ride just sitting there...
I feel your pain and know how the rest feel, I spent August through November itching to get back on a bike after I got sideswiped by someone who crossed the yellow line.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 PM

Here I sit in Wisconsin with more than 2 feet of snow on the ground, and more falling as I type this! And every day I get home from work and watch my bike come into view as the garage door opens. I find myself watching the roads as I drive around and think to myself, "this road is all clear, I could ride on it!"
Last year we were lucky and had an early spring melt and we were riding the 2nd week of March. It's almost always April before we can ride, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another March ride! Less than 100 days....
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Well Roxtar, looks like we're neighbors. We live north of you in Balsam Lake. I remember last year well, we bought our bike and rode it home from Rice Lake on March 9th. We can be optimistic but with the way this winter has been, I can't see that happening again this year . Although you never know, especially around here .

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:14 PM

I'm kinda regretting that I didn't buy winter cycling gear like I had planned. I talked myself into taking a couple of months off instead, but I'm finding that a hard bargain to keep. And btw, we got it real tuff out here in CA - gonna get down to the mid-50's this week!

'02 V Star 650 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode