Winter Projects - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Winter Projects

I use the winter down time to make changes or upgrades on my Vstar 1100 every year. This winter I replaced my stock handlebars with Royal Star Venture bars. I did this because I wanted to keep the look as unchanged as possible so they achieve that and the Royal Star bars have more pullback… just what I need for a short reach. I also took the time and ran all the wires inside the bars, it really cleaned up the look of things. I am also changing my fork oil which is a bit of a project since there are no drain screws so you need a small vacuum pump. And lastly I will be changing my rear shock to a unit with a progressive spring.

Anybody care to share their plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 PM

I am also changing the bars on my 1300. Going with the Royal Star Tour Deluxe bars. Gets me 4" more pull back and the are 2" narrower than stock bars. Should be much more comfortable!

Also have Kuryakyn ISO grips to install, as well as 2" offset mounts for the passenger boards. Hopefully that gets the Mrs. into a more comfortable riding position.

The last thing is crash bars for the factory hard bags. I really like the way they look, and chrome is always good!

Now if spring would just get here....
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 AM

Garage
Thinking of moving the controls 4" forward with one of those eBay kits and installing an ORK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 AM

I've got the 6" in Stainless. Really like the positioning, however I found mine would flex towards each other (center of bike) when re-positioning while riding. I fabricated a 3/8 Stainless rod to run between them to tie them together and solved the problem. No clearance issues with fender/tire or ORK. I'm about 5'9" 180lbs 33" inseam.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 PM

So far I've replaced the tires and reshaped the saddle. The tires, Pirelli MT66, made a big difference. The saddle shape fits better but I have not put in any real hours yet to test the new foam.

Next up may be a throttle lock, but I really only need something like this rarely. Oh yeah, and I want to do some maintenance: fork oil (maybe progressive springs while I'm at it!) and brake fluid.

'02 V Star 650 Custom
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Slip on Exhausts... passenger floorboards, and possibly relocation brackets to move them forwards and lower. I'm also looking at 3" extensions for my floorboards. I need to make sure they will work with my crash guards. I'm also looking at a set of SENA SMH 10 headsets so momma and I can converse and listen to music in style…

2008 VStar 1100 Silverado...
Current Mods
Driving Lights
Crash Bar
Driver Backrest
Throttle lock
Seats modded by Mean City Cycles
Passenger floorboards
SENA headsets
Roadhouse Moto Classics slip-on exhaust
Running on Shinko 777, wide white wall tires.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 PM

LOL Make sure you get one that cuts off her music when the wifey speaks. The problem I had is her music continued while mine shut-off and she didn't have a clue to stop singing. Let's just say that opera singing or even Janice Joplin singing doesn't run in her family.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltilt1 View Post
LOL Make sure you get one that cuts off her music when the wifey speaks. The problem I had is her music continued while mine shut-off and she didn't have a clue to stop singing. Let's just say that opera singing or even Janice Joplin singing doesn't run in her family.
Yeah, can sure identfy with that one! But me and Janice can realy get down on "Piece of my heart" (I think) I am lookin to get my air horn finally wired up for the winter project, and just keep er ready for the first decent day to get out Folks, ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear 06 View Post
Yeah, can sure identfy with that one! But me and Janice can realy get down on "Piece of my heart" (I think) I am lookin to get my air horn finally wired up for the winter project, and just keep er ready for the first decent day to get out Folks, ride safe.
What make of air horn are you installing? I am looking at a Rivco for my 1100 Star
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

just recently cleaned up my rear fender by moving license plate to a lighted side mount from Kuryakyn on my V Star 950 and removed all the crap that's below the rear turn signals: license, plate holder, reflectors, mud flap. had to make a custom mount for the license plate holder since nobody seems to make one for the 950.

bike goes in for a paint job in 3.5 hrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode