How far can you ride? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

How far can you ride?

Hi just wondering how many miles ppl are putting on thier V Stars in a ride before you are sore.. i want to to put in a 150 mile and maybe back the same day which is 300 miles Whats your thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM

Talking How far

It all depends. Before I changed my stock seat to Corbin and installed my Baron risers my back was killing me and my shoulders were very stiff after a 300 miles ride. BTW I ride a 2002 VStar1100 Classic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike (16).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	539  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM

Garage
I haven't put it in miles, usually about 1 1/2 and I'm ready to walk for a minute. With my gel pad I can last until the tank is empty around 200 miles of continuous riding. Looking to get it installed in the seat instead of just putting in on top.

Oh yes, V-star 950.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Depends so much on how you ride, and where you ride. If you are "broke in" meaning you ride alot, 300 can be a breeze, if you just ride once in awhile to the store or something, ouch! Sugar Bear on a long run does 3-400 a day,(no 4 lane, interstates. Back roads, country only, if possible) the first day ok, then time for the sheepskin, that does me well, no sore butt. I run stock seat on an 1100 Silverado. I do think if you ride alot, you do get toughend into it, ride a ton, the butt thing ain't really an issueIMHFO. Have fun, Ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Tiem in th saddle

2stars,

Toney said it well. Depends on what kind of road you are ridding. Age is a big factor too.

When I had my 04 1100 V star I took a couple of trips From Ohio to Florida, Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge, West Vriginia, and Tennessee. Some of those were 600 miles between destinations. Several were 500 miles, On freeways. My bike was all stock. Seat and handle bars included. Was I tired? You bet. Mostly a pinch in my shoulders and back of my neck.

But, a ride to southern Ohio on the twisties, a couple hundred miles wears me down.

You do not just jump on a bike and ride 500 miles. You work up to it. But I think the 150 miles you mention is just warming up. Seats and handle bars help. Windshields are a must for Interstates. But they do not perform miracles. Ride your 150 miles, take a break, eat lunch, walk around, then start home. If you have a passenger they are much less comfortable than the rider. You should stop half way. If you push them to hard you could wind up riding alone.

Dave
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 PM

I make one to two trips to Arizona every year on the bike, and end up around 1000 miles for the day. These are typically gas and go days, I leave around day break in the Denver area, and end up in Tuscon around 9 or 9:30 that night. Very little highway, mostly two lane through the mountains, then though the canyons in Arizona.

I ride to work almost daily during Spring/Summer/Fall and whenever possible during winter. I get one day a weekend to ride with no hassle from the better-half and typically will do 200 - 400 miles depending on destination and what I am going to see. My son loves to ride with me, and on the days he goes with, we typically will keep it to the 200 or so miles as he has only been riding for about a year and gets tired.

I take a week long MC trip every year for scenic purposes and go see something that I really want to see (a leave the wife and kids at home week). Sometimes I ride with friends, sometimes I go alone. Typically keep it to 300-350 miles a day so I can stop and see the country/take pics/take in the out of the way places. I have seen much of the west by motorcycle, though I have never gotten to Washington state or Alaska. This year I am thinking of taking two weeks off and riding the New England area.

Last year was the first year with the Liner and my inaugrial ride was a jaunt to Texas and back over a weekend. The bike proved rock solid and comfy even with the stock seat.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 PM

I think this is one of those questions that could get a thousand different answers to, like tires and oil. There are so many variables, and most have been hit on already. Your bike, age, experience, physical condition, amount you ride (seasonal, year-round), how you ride, desire...it all plays a factor.

I don't expect either one of us to get on the bike in March or April (whenever the snow melts ) after not riding since November and put on 300 miles the first day. You have to get your body adjusted to it. However, once it gets to May or June, we can put on 300 miles in a day without a thought, although we like to stop a lot. Personal preference plays a factor in comfort, too. Our 1100 Silverado has stock seats, which some people think are horrible, but we find ours comfortable (I think it's more comfy than the fancy computer chair I'm sitting in right now).

I personally would have no problem riding from Wisconsin to visit our daughter in North Carolina or my folks in south Texas (both of which I've suggested), but my wife isn't too sure of that idea. I've been riding for 25 years, she's been riding for 5, so I'm sure that's another factor.

It's hard to really put a number on a question like that. Get on and ride, and when the tank's empty, fill it up and ride some more or head home and ride again another day. Have fun and ride safe, that's what it's all about .

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM

The more you ride, the more you can ride. The 1st few times out, 150 miles is all you'll want to do. But after a short break you can make the run again. We used to plan a run that was around 150 miles away, then spend a couple hours wherever that was before making the 150 mile run back home. After a few of these trips, you won't want to stop so soon, or for so long. The 600 plus mile runs don't happen often, but you will be able to make them with enough seat time!

Ride safe!

2007 Vstar 1300 Tourer
Too many bolt-on goodies to remember!

Gone but not forgotten...

Memeber of the Black Bike Club -- Fastest Color Available!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM

I'm 65 and have been riding since '67. My last long trip was from Seattle to Las Vegas, in 2 days. Then to Laughlin and back ( 100 each way ) the next day. All on a stock 2009 1100 Classic. Stop and move around alot, some kind of throttle lock or assist and alot of grit has kept me going.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Longest trip I have made is 1048 Miles in 24 hrs, during an IRON AZZ ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode