Good mechanic in L.A. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Good mechanic in L.A.

I am looking for a good knowledgeable mechanic in the valley or just somewhere in the LA area for my '02 1100 classic. I had a cheap mechanic do work on it and now I need a professional to fix it. I was just going to take it to Yamaha but I thought I would see if there might be someone else as a back up. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM

You might want to tell us what the problem is. So far, with the help of the people on this forum, I've been able to do all my work by myself. If it's already broken, what have you got to lose?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

The problem I am having is first of all I am not a mechanic for internal engine issues. I am strickly a "bolt on" type mechanic. So the problem I am having is that I had my starter clutch replaced recently on my 2002 v star 1100. First of all after he replaced the parts for this repair he was not able to put the side cover back on. He needed to look up how to put it together and also had someone else help him as to how to put the parts in the motor correctly. That was the first red flag with this idiot. So after waiting a week or so he was able to put it together. When I picked it up I noticed it sounded like it had a muffler leak or something. There was nothing wrong with the mufflers before I sent it in for repairs. I took the pipes off and looked at them closely and there was nothing wrong with them. I am very confused as to what he could have done wrong to cause the bike to sound pipey (if that's a word). Some people are telling me it might have something to do with timing or valves. The bike seems to have the same power and it idles fine but it does backfire a little on decel. It kind of did that before and for all I know it could be that the bike has after market pipes. Sorry I don't know which pipes they are. I attached a picture of the bike with the pipes. I bought it used with the pipes already on it and this is my first bike so I don't have much knowledge yet. So in short I want to take it to another mechanic that can solve this problem. But before I do, I was hoping to get some possible reasons for this issue. It is clear the problem was caused by him upon doing the starter clutch repair because it sounded completly different before he put his hands on it. And also the engine light comes on at high rpm. Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1272.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	545  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM

He has it posted here.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=3429

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 PM

BTW I forgot to ask what do your plugs look like?

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

I replaced the plugs just before I brought it to the mechanic. They did need to be replaced because it definitely ran better after. But I haven't looked at them since I got it back. I have put about 40 miles on them only so I don't think they will show much but I will since I have nothing to loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode