V Star 1100 tire help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

V Star 1100 tire help

Hi To All;

I need to change out my rear tire (still has stock Dunlop D404) as it's pretty well worn.

I found a crazy deal at a motorcycle shop the other day (final sale - old stock) on a Bridegstone Exedra stock size 170/80/15 so I bought it. When I got it home I realized that the Dunlop is a tubeless tire and the one i bought is a tube-type tire.

my bike is a 2007 V star classic with mag/alloy wheels (not spokes) I also notice that it has a metal valve stem that is angled.

Will this tube-type tire work? obviously with an inner tube? Has anyone put a tube type tire on a V star classic with mag wheels?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Didn't used to be , but what I hear now , it's ok. I had trouble a couple years ago in Kansas trying to get home to IN, had to go with a tube,it went well, no problem, but I changed it out as soon as I got home(just my thinkin on it) I run an 1100 Silverado, and Metz. Some folks don't like em, I do.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks sugar bear - what did you do about the angled valve stem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 02:56 AM

angled valve stem

you can remove the angled valve stem from the wheel and use a tube with the same angled valve stem. should work fine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 04:33 AM

If we are talking the same thing here, in my case, I had to take the 90 valve stem off (the shop guy) and use the tube stem till I got changed back to tubeless, and went with the 90 again.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Is there any disadvantage to running a tube on a rim designed for a tubeless tire?

Is it any more difficult or easier to install (although I wont be doing it, I don't want the shop guy to get pissed at me!)?

Also I have a decent motorcycle lift and was contemplating removing the rear wheel and taking it to the shop to save an hours labor charge ($75 +). Has anyone removed the rear wheel on the 1100 classic - is it fairly easy or challenging and did you have to remove the rear fender? (never removed a rear wheel on a shaft driven bike before - but have done it on many chain driven bikes).

Thanks again
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Garage
No not at all. The basic difference between A tubeless and tube tire is a membrane in the tubeless. The size is the same although the construction can vary from one manufacturer to the other. Also while you are at this point it would be a good idea to have your drive shaft serviced. You should do this every time you change your back tire.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 AM

+1 on what Farm said.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...Q-15.htm#Wheel Removal

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...-16.htm#Wheels

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...htm#Rear-Aline

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info' so far - so I guess the tire will work (with a tube).

Has anyone taken their rear wheel off themselves (V star 1100) how easy/hard was it to do? I'm mechanically inclined but not gifted or experienced! I have a manual and a bike lift, OR should I just stop being cheap and leave it to a professional?

In the manual it says you have to use 2 different types of grease: "molybdenum disulfied" and litheum grease. Will the litheum grease work OK in place of the moly#$%%^ grease on the driveshaft splines?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horscroft View Post
Thanks for all the info' so far - so I guess the tire will work (with a tube).

Has anyone taken their rear wheel off themselves (V star 1100) how easy/hard was it to do? I'm mechanically inclined but not gifted or experienced! I have a manual and a bike lift, OR should I just stop being cheap and leave it to a professional?

In the manual it says you have to use 2 different types of grease: "molybdenum disulfied" and litheum grease. Will the litheum grease work OK in place of the moly#$%%^ grease on the driveshaft splines?
It is a bit of a job, but if you are mechanically inclined as you say, You can whiss through the job, no sweat, just some effort. Yes, you can save some bucks(big) If you have the time. They do say use the moly on the splines. No pro here at all, but know what can be done if you want. It ain't as tough as some believe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode