Dreaded Starter Clutch - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Dreaded Starter Clutch

My starter clutch is out on my 07 1100 Custom. The starter has never sounded good since I bought the bike used about 8 months ago. Today I rode it to the hardware store, everything was good.
After working around the house momma and I decided to go for a cruise. Went to hit the starter and all I heard was zzzzzzzzz, the started spins but does not turn the motor over. I was kind of hoping it was the battery being down some from sitting and just not spinning the starter enough for it to catch.
I did manage to rock the bike hard enough to get it to kick over. We rode about 80 miles or so and when I stopped for gas I almost did not get it restarted. Now all it does is spin.
I started reading up on this thing and wow, $400-500 for parts is crazy.
Is there an alternative? I searhed E-bay with no luck looking for a used set up. I have been considering selling the 1100 and moving up size wise but obviously cant sell it this way and really do not want to dump a bunch of money in it to get it sold.
Anyone have a better parts idea or can this one be fixed. I have read it is one assembly and not servicable but I also know lots of people timker, like I do and come up with fixes.

2007 V-Star 1100 Custom
Hard Krome pipes
Dyno Jet
K&N
Drag bars
Saddle bags
Windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Here's a link to a "How To"

http://www.vstar1100.com/starter_clutch_replacement.htm

That's the going price. Looking forward, if you keep it check your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and never use the throttle when starting.

Some additional info

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...08.htm#Starter

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have already book marked the repair procedure and read how I have been destroying the starter clutch since I bought the bike.
I am just wonfering if you have to replace all of the parts or if you can reapir/ replace some of them. The $469 plus shipping on Ebay is a bit much for a bike I am planning on selling in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I want it fixed right but I want it gone also.

2007 V-Star 1100 Custom
Hard Krome pipes
Dyno Jet
K&N
Drag bars
Saddle bags
Windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Let me throw a left field one in, have you checked the two long bolts on your starter motor that bolt into the crankcase? If they are not snugged up good, it will not engage, spin as you say, off and on. May not be it at all, but may be a super cheap fix, been there.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Let me throw a left field one in, have you checked the two long bolts on your starter motor that bolt into the crankcase? If they are not snugged up good, it will not engage, spin as you say, off and on. May not be it at all, but may be a super cheap fix, been there.
The starter motor dosent bolt into the case that way, but yes I pulled the starter and bench tested it. It is fine. I pulled the oil filler cap and watched the starter clutch spin without grabbing.
So far I found a used assembly for $250. I may go that route but hessitant due to it being a decent size job. I am going to talk with the seller to find out more before pulling the trigger on it.

2007 V-Star 1100 Custom
Hard Krome pipes
Dyno Jet
K&N
Drag bars
Saddle bags
Windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode