1100 Headlite/Startup Mod - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

1100 Headlite/Startup Mod

Every time I started my 1100, I was irritated by the fact that the headlight remained on when cranking. It seemed an awful waste of power (5 Amps) just at the time that starter needed all the juice it can get. I was used to my 650, where lights remained off until the engine was running. So, I began researching, and found an article by someone who calls himself ďVstar4UĒ. It utilized a relay, and was very useful, but had one drawback...it only worked with either the low beam or the high beam setting, but not both. The circuit shown here will work regardless of the setting of the Hi-Lo beam switch because it works off of the wire that feeds that switch. On the 1100, if memory serves me right, this is a red wire with yellow striping.

I chose a relay that had a wired base, mainly because I didnít want anything accidentally touching a lug and shorting something out. And, after looking just about everywhere on the bike for a mounting site for the relay, I decided on the inside of the headlight itself. Thereís plenty of room, itís secure, and itís relatively free from exposure to the elements...and the headlight mounting bolts can be used to mount and ground the relay!

The wire that feeds the Hi-Lo beam switch can be easily accessed where it emerges from the left side of the neck, just forward and below the gas tank. Slit the wireing sheath with a razor knife and isolate the wire from the bundle and cut it and connect each end to the appropriate lug on the relay. My driving lights total 50 watts, or almost 5 Amps, so I also connected them to lug #30, thus cutting them off while starting. Be careful not to overload the circuit with add-ons...as this circuit is fused at 15 Amps and probably shouldn't be loaded with more than 10 Amps.

I have a few of these relays on hand. If you would like one, contact me at [email protected] ...$15.00 shipped US.

I've had mine installed for about six months now, and I have to smile every time I start r up...knowing more power is getting to the starter and I'm saving wear and tear on my battery.

Roger

The Clevver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

awesome post. how much does it actually drain the battery though? it seems so minimal.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

The headlight draws about 5 Amps. Don't know what percentage that is of the total Amps available, but the drain is completely unnecessary. It may be my imagination, but my bike does seem to start better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode