Help with front brakes. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Aussielad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,088
Help with front brakes.

G'Day all.

Any advice here appreciated.

I have an old 98 V Star that I have just restored, however the front disc brakes have started leaking brake fluid. I have the tech' manual and would appear the caliper piston seals need replacing. These seals were in the bike when I bought it so I don't know how long they have been in for.

With brakes being such an important component, would it be foolish of me to try and replace these seals myself. I am not a mechanic by trade but worked with and performed basic services on hydraulic spreaders/shears/rams used for rescue purposes but that was a long time ago, and I remember there being procedures for purging hydraulic lines after seal replacements.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Aussielad; 03-05-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: edited by aussielad
Aussielad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Fulltilt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,530
While the seals are easy to get, the calipers are not covered in depth in the VStar maintenance manual. You might need to get a CMM (Component Maintenance Manual) for the caliper. You'll need the brand and model number. You might be able to get that off the part itself, or you might need to contact your dealer. Having said that The only calipers I have rebuilt were on a Ford Explorer. I have rebuilt many types of hydraulic brakes over the years. The earliest were '48 Willys Drum and the latest were 2002 Ford Explorer. It's not that difficult of a job with the proper tools. First and foremost if I were going to do this job, I would get a manual and read through it to see if my/your abilities match up against the job.

Bleeding the brakes after you finish is the easy part of the job. since its a closed system you just open the bleeder and push the air out. More on that later if you decide to do it.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...

Last edited by Fulltilt1; 03-05-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Fulltilt1 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussielad View Post
G'Day all.

Any advice here appreciated.

I have an old 98 V Star that I have just restored, however the front disc brakes have started leaking brake fluid. I have the tech' manual and would appear the caliper piston seals need replacing. These seals were in the bike when I bought it so I don't know how long they have been in for.

With brakes being such an important component, would it be foolish of me to try and replace these seals myself. I am not a mechanic by trade but worked with and performed basic services on hydraulic spreaders/shears/rams used for rescue purposes but that was a long time ago, and I remember there being procedures for purging hydraulic lines after seal replacements.

Thanks in advance.
Good job on your new avatar That being said, if you are a wee bit mechanicaly inclined,(and you seem to be) common sense plays a great role in fixing your own stuff, a=b+c ect. Total loss on this end on the electronic part, but hard parts are really simple if you give it some thought. Had a big drag(non release) on my old '82 750 a couple years ago, took off, cleaned up, blew out, bled, then just like new(surprised myself on that one)

Just saying you can really do more than you think you can with some thought and a bit of effort Good luck with your project. ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sugar Bear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Aussielad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,088
Fulltilt, Sugar Bear, thanks for that, its give me a lot more to go with now. I will definately tread carefully.

Sugar Bear, thanks for compliment on the Avatar. It is one of our rare one's now, a big red kangaroo, our National Icon. Most of the roo's you see now are grey and smaller.

Thanks again fella's
Aussielad is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Senior Member
 
mole2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Longs, SC
Posts: 239
One thing I would suggest before you even buy the parts is to attempt to open the bleeder valves. I spent quite a few years as an auto/truck/heavy equipment mechanic and I can't tell you how many times the bleeders were frozen shut and would just break off when you attemp to bleed the system. If you can't crack them open then just replace the caliper.



2009 V-Star 650 Classic Pearl White
2007 Suzuki GZ250 Black (sold)
mole2 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Senior Member
 
farmalldanzil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: EL Reno OK
Posts: 2,904
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussielad View Post
Avatar. It is one of our rare one's now, a big red kangaroo, our National Icon.
I read some where that the imported beer tuck a BIG toll on the BIG RED's
As for the breaks, just do it It is not hard at all. Put in new fluid, copper washers, 30min and a 6pack should do it.
farmalldanzil is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Aussielad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2 View Post
One thing I would suggest before you even buy the parts is to attempt to open the bleeder valves. I spent quite a few years as an auto/truck/heavy equipment mechanic and I can't tell you how many times the bleeders were frozen shut and would just break off when you attemp to bleed the system. If you can't crack them open then just replace the caliper.


Thanks Mole2 for the good advice, always plenty of good advice from everyone, cheers.
Aussielad is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Aussielad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
I read some where that the imported beer tuck a BIG toll on the BIG RED's
As for the breaks, just do it It is not hard at all. Put in new fluid, copper washers, 30min and a 6pack should do it.
Thanks Dan.

And if those big red roo's play up, we turn their kegs into souvenirs, no joke. Maybe we can organise one of these as a prize for the winner of the BOTM. Anyone after a new bottle opener or cigarette lighter? Photo submitted for consideration by Senior Member Dan

Aussielad is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Senior Member
 
farmalldanzil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: EL Reno OK
Posts: 2,904
Garage
BOY that's kind of nutty
farmalldanzil is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hither & Yon
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussielad View Post
Thanks Dan.

And if those big red roo's play up, we turn their kegs into souvenirs,



Talk about "roo-ing the day"...
Springer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome