Aux Fuel Tank Tie-In Point - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Aux Fuel Tank Tie-In Point

I have an auxiliary fuel cell (see Tourtank.com) I want to connect into the main tank of a '09 V Star 950 (fuel injected, main fuel pump inside the tank). The aux cell has a valve on the outlet with a 1/4" barb hose connector. It looks like I could just put a Tee into the fuel return line on the left side of the bike and connect the gravity feed from the aux cell to the Tee.

Has any one done this? If you connected your Aux fuel cell differently, how and where did you connect?

Thanks for the help.

Galen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Where are you mounting this Tour tank? If it were me, I would be mounting as low as possible on the bike and use a pump to refill the main tank when it gets low. The added weight, if put up on a rear rack or seat will alter your handling considerably.

The other alternative, if you really want added capacity, would be to just get a bigger main tank. You would probably need to either adapt something from another bike, or even have one made.

Dave
2005 VStar 650
1990 BMW R45
Have had many others.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice. I'm mounting it over the passenger seat, anchored to the sissy bar and subframe. It weighs less than 30 lbs full of fuel, which is 1/4 of the usual passenger weight, and it won't move around or get a sore butt. ;-)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 AM

No, it won't move around or get a sore butt, but the gas inside will slosh around some. Myself, I just wouldn't do it. I would find or build a larger main gas tank. I did this on my old BMW many years ago. Went from a 5 gallon to a 10 gallon Hoske tank. They were pretty common back in the day.

But, that being said, I think that if you must go this route, the easiest method to transfer the fuel would be a proper pump and hose.

Dave
2005 VStar 650
1990 BMW R45
Have had many others.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 PM

I carry a small gallon in my saddle bag that is just fine for me...

Don't worry about the tank being to much there its still practically in the driver triangle at that point...

You would have to get it to the return line as the pump is enternal it wont get any gas if you don't get into the tank some way.

The old school method of just puttin gat the petcock wont work for you as you don't have one. Make sure it pulls gas into it first before mounting it solid and then your stuck with something that doesn't work.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have aux tank connection experience with a fuel injected V Star? 950? 1300?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM

I would like to do something similar on my 1300...I wish they would just make a larger tank. Seems like there would be big business for that TBH.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:02 PM

Many years ago when I was taking flying lessons, my instructor (who was also a charter pilot) made the comment that most people have about a two-hour bladder. When he planned a charter flight he planned "fuel stops" about every two hours to allow for that. Seems to me the same applies to motorcycle touring. While it is nice to have a really long fuel range, you are still going to be stopping every so often to empty yourself. Unless you are going to travel in places where fuel stops are few and far between, the extra fuel tankage isn't really much of a concern.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM

Personally, it's annoying when I'm out with a bunch of sport bike riders who have high compression and get 50+ MPG and have 6gal tanks or so. 1300 <5 gals
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNeptune View Post
Personally, it's annoying when I'm out with a bunch of sport bike riders who have high compression and get 50+ MPG and have 6gal tanks or so. 1300 <5 gals
In these parts, sport bike riders aren't known for their long distance rides

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode