Another exhaust question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Another exhaust question

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to remove my mufflers and install home made straight pipes. I'm thinking about bobbing my bike and like the straight pipe look. Just don't like the price of new full pipes that I'm gonna wrap anyways... Any thoughts on this? I understand I will have to rejet the carbs and will also be adding a pod set up... Any help/ advise will be appreciated... 02 vstar 1100 custom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 PM

youll find that youre going to need to add some back pressure. Weather it be a cone or a simple washer to obstruct the exhaust flow. But if you have the know how, go ahead and fab up a set!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply ken. I have some fab experience from my job (steeplejack). Also have access to welding and cutting equipment. I need to know more about the back pressure issue. I was thinking I could make 2-3 cuts along the pipes and weld half moon baffles in them to restrict the air flow.... I started my bike with the mufflers off once and it was so cool sounding I wanted to ride it like that, but was afraid I might hurt something in the engine. Do the half moon baffles sound like a reasonable thing to try??? Has anyone made their own pipes that could chime in on this??? Thanks

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

does he really need to add back pressure? what exactly happens to performance if he leaves the pipes with no restrictions?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 AM

pretty good article on exhaust

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1064128AAXcKau

Stratoliners have this which to my reading is essentially a valve that creates more or less back pressure within the exhaust

Exhaust Ultimate Power valve (EXUP®) inside the two-into-one exhaust system boosts torque.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes

Last edited by tigrzeye; 12-29-2013 at 07:04 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Tiger. What I got from it is that mileage and performance may suffer. That being said, I'm curious if we're talking about huge numbers here. I understand that large amounts of $$$ were spent by the manufacturer on r and d but I have to wonder if the money was spent to make the bike go fast or to make it quiet. My 1100 sounded like a sewing machine until I drilled out the rear baffles. I didn't notice any power loss but I did hear more sound. My mileage didn't change noticeably ( I always fill up at 200 km). After pulling out the baffle I was amazed at how small the inside diameter of the baffle was. My plan is to make slip on straight pipes so I can always change back to the mufflers if I want. I know on car exhausts people run headers that can be opened up to bypass the rest of the exhaust for racing. My only real concern is potential damage to the engine (eg. burned valves or burned pistons). Any info or first hand experience in this area would be great. Again, thanks for the replys....

Stan
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 AM

I don't really think sound is a manufacturer's consideration when talking exhaust. I haven't even ridden my new Strat, just bought it and won't get from dealer until Spring. I have heard the Strat has a nice sound/tone from factory, but I am sure I will be changing the exhaust anyhow. I am leaning towards the Freedom Exhaust True Duals. From info they sent me they designed the exhaust for stock tuning and on the bike with what they call "step" technology to replicate the correct back pressure for max torque. Believe what you read?? In this case, probably, but don't care, the look of the exhaust is awesome (to me)!! And from videos I have found on YouTube the sound is a mellow rumble and not ear shattering loud.

Dealer recommends not installing duals until after first service (600 miles) that gives time for bike to break in and you know how it feels with the stock exhaust.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Congrats on the new bike. I couldn't leave it at the dealership... I understand it's safer there but would still want it in my garage so I could oogle it all winter. But that's me. I would be sitting out there for hours daydreaming about how cool it was gonna be to tear up the road on that thing. I bought my bike in late fall 2012. I didn't put it on the road till spring 2013. I went through half a tank of gas just starting it and hanging out with it all winter. I prolly spent 40 hours just looking and wiping and cleaning and dreaming over the winter. It's my first bike and although it has a little character from previous owners, it also has lots of shiney paint and sparkling chrome. I gotta say, the manufacturer didn't hold much back in the chrome department. Good luck with your new ride. Enjoy the scenery.

Stan
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 AM

WISH I had garage space to keep it here.

I store my bike for winter at the dealer anyhow, and the day I took the V-Star 1300 there to store it is the day I saw the 2014 Strat on the showroom floor. Color had me from first look. I visit her once in a while and she is there waiting for the Yammy stuff I ordered to be installed.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
does he really need to add back pressure? what exactly happens to performance if he leaves the pipes with no restrictions?
You will suffer from loss of torque, and the motor while breathing better will feel like it is pulling less as a result. And it can get difficult to tune because of this. Your "powerband" is moved higher in the RPM range, and usually above the rev range of the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode