Is it legal ?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Is it legal ??

Getting a Knight Riderz 12LED bar for the back end. Will be here by the weekend and looks to be an easy 3 wire crimp tie-in and ready to go.

The LED continually sequences just like the light bar from the TV series, then flashes and goes solid when the brake light is applied.

Question ?? can you mount one on the front end legally ?/ is there some law that prevents a red sequencing light bar on the front end ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Garage
Most all states don't allow RED or BLUE and some don't allow a light that blinks .
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned

Good question Jeff. I can't back up my answer with any hard facts but other than white lights, the only other legal color would be amber.

I'm sure somebody will shed some light on this.

Last edited by stratowart; 03-16-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 PM

I'm in Ontario and you can't have red in the front here and no blue at all anywhere unless it is apolice vehicle.

Denis
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 PM

Don't know about Nevada, but in Texas you can run l.e.d. lights of any color, as long as they aren't flashing or fading. You need to check with the laws in your state, it will save you a ticket.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:13 AM

They don't meet DOT specs so they are illegal everywhere. Most LEDs for motorcycle lights are illegal. I converted my back end to LED's and flashing brake lights (when you first apply the brake) so as to be seen but they are illegal. It only matters if your state/county/local gov't wants to persue it.

2009 V-Star 650 Classic Pearl White
2007 Suzuki GZ250 Black (sold)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
Most all states don't allow RED or BLUE and some don't allow a light that blinks .
I do have a headlight modulator that blinks and I know that it is legal for daylight hours. There is a sensor attached to it that measures ambient light and turns the modulator off during the evening hrs

But, that is a "horse of a different color" ...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 AM

I used to have blue running lights - bright blue - and I had no problems but I have been told by LEO that if they were blinking/pulsing then it would have been and red lights of any size/shape would have been a problem. My suggestion would be to just check out your local MVA to see what the rules are.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Are those LED lights "illegal" or not DOT approved? There is a differance.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 AM

I own TnT Renegade Lights based in Texas, some states have certain color restrictions, but as long as they don't face forward or flash they are legal in the state of Texas. Some states such as Colorado don't allow green, because that is the color of the forest service. You need to check with the highway dept. in your state. I run my blue led's all the time, at night in Texas and haven't ever been pulled over for running them. We sell all colors of led lights and haven't had any reports of ticketing, as long as they aren't flashing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode