I get to get my pipes what is reccomend? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
SSC

I get to get my pipes what is reccomend?

Well not full pipes but I can swing some slip on's now finally can afford some better sound. I need some suggestions I was thinking cobra slash cuts and a jet kit seems like a good price but havent heard any in real life. any suggestions???

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:00 PM

that is the same setup I have on my 02 1100 classic. I had a local bike shop do the install for me because Im not comfortable doing any carb work. I believe they used a Dyna Jet kit for the carbs. These Cobra mufflers are LOUD!! but are well built. I may have lost 1 or 2 miles per gallon in milage but the popping when decellerating is all gone and I can feel a bit more bottom end and midrange power when you roll on the gas. Did I mention these pipes are LOUD?? When I cruise now I wear ear plugs on long rides.

02 Vstar 1100 classic
Samson Warloard Ripsaws
chubby pod kit/maxair pms screws
barons ork
kuryakyn isso grips
breakaway cruise cont.
driver backrest
barons DT risers
barons tackometer
oem passing lights
crome visors on all lights & signals
drag highway pegs
viking studded bags
sissy bar with rack
studded front and rear seats
studded gas tank bib with pouch
clocks for bikes- stem mount
Ram mount& hard wire for GARMIN GPS
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Ive got cobra slip ons on my 650. I like the sound. It's not to loud because the baffles are still in but i want it that way. I ride it everyday back and forth to college and i can't stand loud pipes. The way i see it they put them baffles in there for a reason, so why take them out right? haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM

I've had my Cobra's on for three yrs. I was worried because right after I got them I was told they had cheap chrome. This I learned couldn't be further from the truth. No rust and no defects three yrs down the road. They are kinda loud, but I like em that way. I usually wear foam plugs when I ride due to wind noise anyway.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
SSC

Well I thank you for the responses. I ordered the cobra slash cuts I hear a set this weekend at a bike show that's the sound I am looking for. Not as loud as my Harley was but much better then the stock mufflers on the star. We will see this Thursday. I talked to my local dealer they said I would not need the jet kit but if I do they stock them if I need them. I can't wait lol

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Have fun with the new exhaust. I'm not entirely sure about the whole "loud pipes save lives" campaign but I do feel a little safer during those breif seconds while I'm in a cager's left side blind spot.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
SSC

Yeah I agree loud pipes are for pissing off neighbors only lol. I just wanted a little more sound so I went with the quiet pipes well at least the ones that are a little quiter with a little more grunt I hope

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
SSC

Well got the new pipes slapped em on damn what an improvement. The bike runs so much better it was kinda chilly outside on the test run about 38* so I will have to wait until it warms up before I find out if a jet kit is needed. These pipes are loud about the sound level of the drag pipes on my old Harley with the baffles in them which isn't quiet by any means. Im kinda ticked at my self for waiting so long to get them this should be one of the first bike upgrades anyone does. Granted the sound might turn some people off but my butt dyno says there is at least a 5hp gain I hop'd up onto the interstate getting unto speed at a known spot my bike was going 14 mph faster then normal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode