To foot peg or not to foot peg - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

To foot peg or not to foot peg

My previous bike had foot pegs and I really liked them. My 2008 V-Star 1300 has foot boards and I was thinking of converting them to pegs. I was curious if anyone else had done that conversion and what is needed, parts and adapters, to complete the conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM

My personal prefrence is the floorboards. I have a crashbar with highway pegs on it. I rest my toes on the pegs and my heels on the boards, very comfortable.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 11:29 AM

I made my own set of "kick-out pegs" mounted under the floorboards.

My crash-bars extend to far for me to mount a set of pegs and be comfortable

It was a very easy project to accomplish..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses, its much appreciated
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 PM

I bought my 1300 about 1-1/2 years ago upgrading from a Kawasaki 900 Custom that had footpegs. I originally really didn't want the floorboards, and looked at replacing them with pegs. I couldn't find any bolt on replacement and was going to fabricate my own brackets. In the meantime spring arrived and I didn't want the bike down for any length of time. I moved my floorboards forward with 4" extensions (I'm 6'2") and drove it for the summer. After the riding season was over I decided I actually liked the floorboards even though it took a little time to get used to them. In my opinion the boards don't look as good as pegs, but from a comfort standpoint I won't switch to pegs. The only thing I couldn't get use to was the heel toe shifter, I ended cutting of the heel end of the shifter after accidentily hitting neutral while turning left into oncoming traffic (2 different times), luckily neither were in a tight situation so I didn't get in an accident.

If you really want pegs I'd look at how much they want for the Vstar 1300 Stryker footpegs. I've been modifyin my bike using other bike parts, many are bolt on from the 950. You just need to go to a Yamaha dealer and measure the frame mounting holes, I suspect you will find that they bolt on.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

the question is, which do you want more? style or comfort? style: go with pegs. comfort: stay with boards.

as far as what is needed for adapters, most places you look for on pegs will show which models they fit or are designed for when searching online. you may want to just search "V Star 1300 pegs"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 PM

How did you relocate your boards? I'm 6'3" and beginning to feel scrunched. I've thought about "rolling back" my handle bars, trying to get the grips further away from me. I'd like it as well if I could get my legs a little straighter.

Nick
2009 Tommy Blue V Star 950
Purchased 2-28-11
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the information. I also just got three inch extensions from Pacific Coast Cruisers for my foot boards. It also comes with a adapter to move the horn. I am going to try the moved forwards foot boards and maybe go to pegs if I can't get used to them. I appreciate the heal shifter heads up, I have been worried/annoyed by having the heel shifter, which I an not used to yet.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
How did you relocate your boards? I'm 6'3" and beginning to feel scrunched. I've thought about "rolling back" my handle bars, trying to get the grips further away from me. I'd like it as well if I could get my legs a little straighter.
I bought my extensions on Ebay for ~$50. There are a couple of small companies that are selling extension there. From what I remember, one Co. had 3 & 5 inch extensions, and the other had 4 & 6 inch extensions. The 4" clears horn bracket, the 6 inch to me looks like it's hanging out to far (for looks only). I'd suggest if you go this route, that you get the ones that have elongated slots for angle adjustment of the boards. I remember one of the companies didn't offer this option. Moving the boards out you'll probably want to tilt front of boards up a bit.

Moving your legs out also lowers your knees a bit, this will improve the akward feeling of trying to make a hard turn at low speeds and bars interferring with knees on the stock setup. I actually moved the stock bars back a bit (custom risers) because I felt I was leaning to far forward and it bothered my back. Many people change handlebars especially on the 07-09 1300's. In 2010 Yamaha supposedly improved the bars.

Last edited by rs1300; 03-23-2011 at 12:51 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf2005 View Post

I installed the 3 inch extensions today (23 March) and it took about 45 minutes. I like the three inch move, I am 5'11". If I were your height I would go after the 4 or 5 inch extensions. I makes the ride much more comfortable and moves the foot boards out of the way when I stop and put my feet down. With the extensions in place I will probably keep the foot boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode