Possible 650 Recall?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Question Possible 650 Recall??

So in all my searching to fix my current issue im finding out that a lot of people are having problems with their coupler and their pinion shaft on the 650's... these are the parts im having trouble with as well..

stripping issues of both gears have been noted in the 650 across a wide range of years, apparently 04's and higher already have some type of recall?

im not sure really... but the pinion shaft IS the ONLY part on the diagram that doesn't have a part number

Anyone else have any problems with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

http://www.fixya.com/motorcycles/t18...al_drive_noise

heres a ton of random accounts.. apparently a lot of times the issue stems from final drive noise

"" The pre 2004 V-star 650s had issues with the swing arm alignment. The 2005 and up just fail the damn bearing. Now here is a good sign Yamaha finally did something or made it worse. At least 4 places online show two part numbers for the bearing on the pinion and one of the other bearings. There are 3 reasons to change a part number: 1. Company goes out of business (nope), 2. Part is cost reduced (hope not) or 3. The part is bad enough you have to start covering stuff under warranty. So my plea to all of you is write the BBB and your attorney general office and copy Yamaha. If they get slammed enough at least future 650 owners won't suffer.

PS...How about an alternator shorting out at 11,000 miles. Pain to get to and replace but at least it wouldn't kill me on the highway.

PPS I think the 650 is really designed for starter riding and soon as you push it things fall apart. ""

/\/\ from link /\/\

if something is done about this it wont help me.. or anyone else already effected but we can help future riders... if there is really something to help...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 PM

Google "XV535 rear drive swap" and see if that helps you any.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I've been looking into that.. just not sure what year to go with closest to mine i could find is 00' had anyone here done the drive swap?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:33 AM

I'am sorry, but when people do not take care of the driveshafts on their bikes than they should not gripe when they have a problem.
As my old boss used to say{you people create your own problems}
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
I'am sorry, but when people do not take care of the driveshafts on their bikes than they should not gripe when they have a problem.

Really?...

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
If you took the time to look into it at all a lot of the people its happening to DO maintain their drive shafts properly.. Did i on my first bike? Probably not.. But regardless of any of that if what i said MIGHT be true turns out to be than the pinion on the 650s is load bearing... maintenance can't fix that..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode