Battery ?'s - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Question Battery ?'s

Help - What do ya think I've got going wrong? -

02 650 classic bought last Fall.
Last ride was week before Christmas then sat in the garage with battery tender until yesterday.
Over the winter I added Yammi passing lamps, Diamond Star headlight modulator, and threw in a Sylvania Silverstar replacement headlight bulb. (Triple Whammy also waiting to be installed.)
Yesterday was a nice sunny 40-50 deg day, so took her out for about a 45 min cruise. Got home, parked her in the driveway for a few minutes, went back to put her away and she wouldn't start - dead battery?
Rolled back into garage and put her on battery tender again.
Usually the tender only stays in the charging mode (red light) for a few minutes the goes right to storage (green light).
This time she was in charging mode for hours before the green light started flickering (It was in green mode again this am.).

I pulled battery compartment cover last night
Seems like there is some sort of plastic cover with wires/fuses ect on outside face of Battery - How does this all come off?

Have the 35w passing lamps overloaded the bike's capacity?
I have no idea how old the battery is, could it be going bad?
If I had stopped somewhere on the road and it was dead, how would I get going again? (Can you jump just like a car?)
New battery availability? (Sears, Napa, AutoZone?)
How about a Volt meter? Has anyone added one on their bike? (I've seen the Kuryaken one with the colored lights but was wondering if anyone used a simpler/cheaper one from an autoparts place.)

Ya I know, lots of dumb newbie questions!

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late"
2002 V-Star 650 Classic - Pics & Mods: http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...nannmc/V-Star/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Garage
The passing lamps are OK, and yes you can jump start it, the wiring and fuse are not part of the battery and don't need to be removed.
Battery's can be had everywhere(well just about). Get the same cranking Amps. And yes I would re-place the BATTERY.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 AM

I would check the voltage output with the bike running to make sure the charging system is working properly. Should read around 13.5 to 14 Volts.

Lonnie

Last edited by bevo1981; 03-22-2011 at 04:08 AM. Reason: advertising
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM

If you don't want to get one local, here is another option for a battery: http://www.batterystuff.com/batteryS...002&m=1#result

---
Joe

2009 Road Star Silverado S
2009 Ultra Classic
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned

I'm not sure about the significance of the blinking green light from your battery tender but they usually indicate somehow when a battery is no longer useful. I'll see if I can read up on my tender to see what a blinking green means.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

Just got home from work. Skipped out to the bike shed over today's fresh snowfall to look at my battery tender. On mine, flashing light means "CHECK/REPLACE BATTERY"

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Just got home from work. Skipped out to the bike shed over today's fresh snowfall to look at my battery tender. On mine, flashing light means "CHECK/REPLACE BATTERY"
Yeah, I think it depends on what make/model tender a guy has as to what the lights mean. Since on an 02 you do not know when the last battey was replaced, get a new one. I have found 2-3 years is the good life of one if you ride alot, just me. I know there are exceptions. Ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 AM

You can go through all the checks but chances are that the battery needs replacing. Even if the POers did one replacement that would be at least 4 - 5 years ago. When it comes time for mine I will go with an AGM battery. No worry about an acid leak which I've seen on a couple of bikes.

2009 V-Star 650 Classic Pearl White
2007 Suzuki GZ250 Black (sold)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

good question about if you can safely jump start a bike by connecting it to a car battery. i would assume so, does anyone know for sure?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
good question about if you can safely jump start a bike by connecting it to a car battery. i would assume so, does anyone know for sure?
I've done a jump start on a GPZ750 years ago from my car. Positve terminal block was just under a plastic cover on the left side up next to the seat. I did this while sitting on it and got a slight jolt into the inseam of my left upper thigh. But, yes, it started right up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode