More then a day sitting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to formie95 Send a message via Skype™ to formie95
More then a day sitting

I have a 2003 1100 classic. It seems in colder weather (Florida winter 30-40's) that if the bike sits for more then a day it has a hard time starting and warming up. Warming up, doesn't matter, 5, 10, 20 min, as soon as you try to ride off it dies like its still cold. You have to keep twisting the throttle (like it wants to stall) and semi ride the clutch to get going. Just on the initial takeoff. Then its fine. No problems after that. Its only doing it in colder weather. During the summer it was fine. Fire and go so to say. I just don't understand it. I hope I explained it well enough.
Any thoughts or ideas what to look at? Thanks in advance.

2003 V Star 1100 Classic
Stock baffles removed

Live life.... Drag a knee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM

Not a big fan of sea foam on a regular basis, but it can help clean some gunk out of the jets. Only use as per directions. That is where I would start as it sounds like the pilots may be a bit clogged? That's the cheapest thing to do before you start digging in. Also check the fittings for the intake system. If one spot is not snug, it could cause problems too. These things may not fix it, but it is a start for the elimination process.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Are you using the choke on this cold mornings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 08:32 PM

Id offer help, but its 4 degrees here and my fingers are frozen together. Florida and cold pfffft! LOL

ok, ok
You arent riding with the choke on, are you? The choke should be used to get the bike started, then closed as soon as it can be. Is this all the same tank of fuel?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

@rmccutchan: Im not a big sea foam fan either. But may give it a try to start. Just weird that it only happens if it sits more then a day. Overnight, it does fine. 5 minutes and it is good to go. But thanks for the tip. I'll start there.

@ Critter: Yes I do. Full choke when starting. After about 15 sec, I slowly back the choke off to 50% and let it warm up there.

@ Ken: I lived in Lincoln Park for 7 years. Thats why I said Florida winter lol. I know your cold.... I was up there last week. Couldnt wait to leave. Thats just way to cold. NO no, NEVER ride with any choke on. No its several (3-4) tanks of fuel.

2003 V Star 1100 Classic
Stock baffles removed

Last edited by formie95; 01-19-2014 at 08:12 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Garage
When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? Sounds to me like the bowls of your carbs may be emptying or starving of fuel after it sits for a while. Another thing, is your gas cap venting properly? Check the screws for tightness; could be causing a vapor lock for a while.

My 2 cents worth.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? Sounds to me like the bowls of your carbs may be emptying or starving of fuel after it sits for a while. Another thing, is your gas cap venting properly? Check the screws for tightness; could be causing a vapor lock for a while.

My 2 cents worth.
Thanks Corsair, I'll look at those. I don't think I have (that I can remember) changed the filter. I checked the cap about 6 months ago. Screws were solid. I'll check that again too.

2003 V Star 1100 Classic
Stock baffles removed

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Just to add also. If its warming up on the kickstand and then I sit on it and move it upright it wants to (and does most times) stalls.

2003 V Star 1100 Classic
Stock baffles removed

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 PM

Garage
That sounds like a stuck float. I know that I said that it seemed like a starvation issue but now I'm leaning towards the floats. When you start it on the choke, the engine revs a bit faster and takes in fuel faster. When you stand the bike up, are you still on the choke? If not then that could be one of or the problem. The engine is not reving as fast and is not burning fuel fast enough and stalls the engine. I think that a good cleaning is in order as rmccutchan said.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/

Last edited by Corsair; 01-20-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added info
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the input guys, thank you.

I off tomorrow (Wednesday) and plan on looking into it. Got some SeaFoam today, so Im going to start there. Also, going to double check the Intake hoses, and the fuel filter and go from there.

Its just the strangest thing. It ran fine all summer. However, it never sat more then 2 days without being ridden. Start and go, no choke, not even 2 minutes to warm up. Just start, hop on and go. Then starting last month, its had to sit a couple days (longest 5 days) here and there, and all this happens.

2003 V Star 1100 Classic
Stock baffles removed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode