Finally able to get my recently acquired 2009 v-star 1300 out today.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Finally able to get my recently acquired 2009 v-star 1300 out today....

Man, what a nice upgrade to my Suzuki. Volusia. Pulls hard but smooth. I'm at 50 mph (per speedo) before I know it. The little things like self-canceling signals are nice. Some observations:

Changes gears with a "clunk" but I'm use to that. May need an oil change, gonna do that this week. Speaking of which, I can't see the oil level window because of the kickstand and floorboard hardware. WTH? The stocker seat is soft but I'm not crazy about it. Will prob swap out. Adjusted PSI in tires to recommended 36/41 but stock tires seem to be wearing fast. Only 4400 miles and not sure if they will see 7000.

But I love the bike!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Congrats! I've got 12,000 miles on mine and loved every mile! I switch to Rotella 15-40 and the transmission shifts a lot smoother, but these transmissions do have a bit of a klunk to them, espeicially going into 1st gear. The mechanic told me the trans was designed for a larger engine with a lot more power, so it is quite heavy duty. I came from a 1100 Shadow, so it was a major upgrade in power for me too. The mechanic also said if we keep the oil changed and do proper maintenance, we should get 200,000 miles out of the engine. I switch to a darkside tire on the rear, and have 6-7000 miles on it and it still looks new. And yes, the oil window is a bit of a PITA...I have to get down on my knee with a flashlight to see it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

And EFI! Love it!! It laughs at cold temps.

Thanks rmccutchan,I know a lot of guys that love Rotella. I've been using Mobile1 syn and not to start an oil thread but figured I stay with it.

Yeah, that first gear clunk is pronounced but it"a a "solid" clunk if that makes any sense. With a little adjustment, probably a different seat and maybe some pullback risers, I'm gonna be in heaven.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 PM

Ah yes...EFI, gotta love it!! SOOO much easier to do mods!

A lot of people, myself included, installed Royal Star Tour Deluxe bars. Much more comfortable, especially after a Mustang seat and floor board extensions. I used to get cramps between my shoulder blades before the bar upgrade, but no more.

Nah....we don't want to do the oil thing The biggest thing to remember about oil is to change it regularly.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna check out the Royal Star bar. Thanks for the tip.

Now what oil should I use again? hahaha

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
Ah yes...EFI, gotta love it!! SOOO much easier to do mods!

A lot of people, myself included, installed Royal Star Tour Deluxe bars. Much more comfortable, especially after a Mustang seat and floor board extensions. I used to get cramps between my shoulder blades before the bar upgrade, but no more.

Nah....we don't want to do the oil thing The biggest thing to remember about oil is to change it regularly.
How do you like the Royal star tour deluxe bar? Did you have to buy longer cables? I would love to change my stock handlebars so that I'm more in an upright position. I have an Ultimate seat and I feel that I'm still leaning forward with my shoulders,

Last edited by vstarjoe; 01-19-2014 at 07:54 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstarjoe View Post
How do you like the Royal star tour deluxe bar? did you end up getting longer cables. I would love to change my handlebars to a more upright position as I have an Ultimate seat and I'm still leaning forward with my shoulders,

I absoutely love it. I have an '07, and I think Yamaha changed the bars in about 2010 or so. The cables did not need to be changed, but you can't use your stock bar end weights. I was going to fabricate a way to add the weights, but chose to do without, and I didn't notice any difference. Also, there is a lot of up and down adjustment. I tried a few different postions until I found the best one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzmichaels View Post

Now what oil should I use again? hahaha

We need a sense of humor 'round here!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from Northwest Illinois. Great bike and lots of knowledgeable an d helpful people here to answer your questions. Enjoy the bike, enjoy the forum, post often and ride safe.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Thumbs up

I love the bars also.
Just wanted to add make sure you put something over your tank when changing your bars.
It only takes one slip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode