Back in the game... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Back in the game...

I sold my V Star about 2 1/2 years ago and have been bikeless since. I just worked out a deal with a guy last night and will be meeting him today to pick up an '05 1100 Classic. Coincidentally, I woke up this morning to one of the auto-emails from starbikeforums saying I hadn't been around in a while, so I figured I'd drop back by. Anyways, he's done some performance mods to it and it only has 14,000ish miles. I'm planning to do some pretty serious body mods to it with the end result being a fully dressed out bagger.

I will post some pictures of the progress once I get started with all of that; but, I have a few questions, first.

Are there any mods that are just 100% necessary for the bike to run better, longer, more powerfully, etc.?

I don't want a nice looking turd, I want to build a solid running bike that looks good, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 AM

Garage
Hi and welcome back to the forum. We'd love to see those pics. To answer your questions, Corsair is the bona fide 1100 expert here. He's extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. I ride a 650, and after pipes, and air filter changes, my lil bike is a lot quicker with better low end grunt. Feel free to jump in anytime. Ride safe and post often!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM

Garage
Full exhaust and pods for sure. You may want to add progressive springs in the forks and rear shock. If you do the full exhaust, maybe go with a new cam set up also. Other folks will be along with their spin on things I'm sure.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Full exhaust and pods for sure. You may want to add progressive springs in the forks and rear shock. If you do the full exhaust, maybe go with a new cam set up also. Other folks will be along with their spin on things I'm sure.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

Here's a quote from his listing about what he's already done to the bike - I know it already has a full exhaust and I think he's re-jetted the carbs, too. I guess I should have included this information in the first post, my apologies.

"Has had recent 12k valve and oil service . New spark plugs, K&N air filter, oil filter relocation kit, Cobra pipes, stage 3 jet kit, saddlebags, highway bars, aftermarket seat, and has battery tender installed"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM

Just post your CC# and some of us will be happy to shop for you. Corsair will take care of your exhaust needs, I like to buy new seats and bags. Some one else will do your bars...it'll be great! Welcome back

Annie
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielikeslyrics View Post
Just post your CC# and some of us will be happy to shop for you. Corsair will take care of your exhaust needs, I like to buy new seats and bags. Some one else will do your bars...it'll be great! Welcome back
You sound like my wife.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Garage
Since Corsair will do the exhaust, and Annie will be doing the seat, ill volunteer to do the bars and air filter mods you'd like done. Just a way of saying "welcome back". See how we all work as a team?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Since Corsair will do the exhaust, and Annie will be doing the seat, ill volunteer to do the bars and air filter mods you'd like done. Just a way of saying "welcome back". See how we all work as a team?

Such a loving place. In all seriousness, I'm probably going to get started on this project right away, at least some of the smaller items, anyways (bars, air filter, etc.) I just want to make sure I take care of any performance issues prior to spending money on the body.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM

pods woke my 1100 up pretty damn good. My buddy who has a warrior was playing chicken the other day and he didn't pull me for a change...

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Well she's in the garage!

Picked a great night to buy the bike, it was about 40 degrees and I had about 50 miles to ride on I35. Not fun.

I'm already in the market for a new seat. He has an aftermarket seat on it but I don't like how high/forward it sits so I'd like to find something that sits a lot lower and farther back. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode