Maintenance check on my 1300 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Maintenance check on my 1300

Just bought my '09 1300, 4400 miles a couple of weeks ago and have been getting acclimated to it as weather permits. Rode it down to the local indie shop for the mandatory state inspection and I've decided to let them take care of some basic maintenance so I can have a baseline going forward. I generally like to do the fluid changes and simple adjustments myself but I try do to some business with the local shop too. Just in case I screw something up. Haha. Here's basically what I had in mind:

[*]oil and filter change[*]brake fluid change[*]check belt tension

I figure I'll wait to swap out the brake cable if/when I change out the handlebars (already looking). Probably hold off on any valve adjustments until Summer unless the tech hears something I don't.

Is there anything I should get checked that is not on the maintenance schedule? I know on my other bike, the drive shaft needs to lubed periodically but you won't find that on any published maintenance schedule. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:21 PM

The yamaha mechanic said it is important to change the coolant every two years. He says it breaks down kinda like oil does due to the fact that the bike engine runs hotter than a car engine. He claims the coolant can reach 250 degrees??

Also, make sure the belt is not too tight. If you follow the manual, many agree that is too tight. If I can hear the belt whine when I come to a stop, I loosen it. It's safer to be a shade loose than a shade tight. I guess it's kinda hard on the bearings when the belt is tight.

One more thing....if it has the stock Dunlop tires on it, keep an eye on them. We have had some problems with Dunlop this past year. My son had one split down the sidewall, and another split between the treads. My factory Dunlops started showing some cracks between the lugs also. I am done with Dunlop after what I saw last year.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Ah yeah, coolant change. Definitely!

My tires are the OEM Bridgestones. The seem ok but pretty worn for 4400 miles. I think the PO ran them with the too little air pressure as the wear band is much wider than on my other bike. Maybe she was better at carving up the twistys than me!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, it broke 40 degrees today and I couldn't wait to get her in the shop to change the oil so did it myself today. Out of habit, put her on the lift but that only obstructed my access to the drain plug so just leveled her up a little and let her drain for a good while. I did a little checking at the dealer yesterday as the seller told me where purchased - no service since 2010 Went ahead and bought yamalube and yammy filter. Dealer recommended 10-40; I asked about the 20-50 recommended by Yamaha and and was told the recommendations are "regionalized" and 10-40 is what they recommend. OK, 10-40 is ok, gonna change it again anyway before summer so no big deal.

Seems to be shifting a little easier but the funny thing is that a read somewhere (maybe here) to watch out for debri that could be wedged around the filter. I remember thinking how that sounded unlikely but when I just loosened the filter today, a decent size pebble fell in the catch pan. Whoda thunk it?

Next is coolant and brake fluid change.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 PM

I'm on my phone, so I can't copy/paste, but look at the threads I've started and find the one about radiator protection, or something like that. I made a guard for the bottom of the radiator, and I am going to make a similar deflector for the bottom of the engine and the oil filter because of all the junk that gets thrown up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode