Needle Shims not laying flat causing problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Needle Shims not laying flat causing problem

I have a Vstar 1100 Classic with Hard Krome pipes and Kurykyan Hyper charger.

I decided to re-jet the carb due to popping, backfiring. I replaced the main jets to 125 front, 122.5 back, replaced pilot air bleeds to 1.2 as per instructions.

Assembled the carb and I still get the same symptoms.

The instructions also called for an extra .020 shim to raise the needle.

Now here's my problem. As I look into the throttle valve assembly I notice a small protruding notch at the very bottom of the valve assembly where the shims sit. One shim can actually bypass that notch because it's small in diameter, however the second shim is a little bigger in diameter so the notch does not allow the shim to sit flat on top of the other shim.

I'm sure the shim sitting unevenly has to be a problem...

Has anybody else noticed this? Is my second shim too big, do I need to get another shim or are both shims supposed to sit above the notch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 PM

i noticed that when i did pods they get hung up on the shoulder sometimes,you can get an assorted bag from radio shack part no.64-3022.its in the wkb pages under carb and intake sub file pod kithttps://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/5-modifications/4-intake-modifications
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 PM

I must have got lucky. I found the exact size I needed first try at the hardware store.

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Are they assorted washers in width or thickness? How do I know which one is .020
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
Are they assorted washers in width or thickness? How do I know which one is .020
I took one of the originals with me for comparisons. Found ones that were same inside/outside diameter. If I was to take a micrometer to them I would guess they are a tiny bit thicker. I made sure that the new ones were of equal thickness (does that make sense?)

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 12:22 PM

there are about 5o total assorted,i miked mine,two together are supposed to add up to .050 i dont suppose its critical if you got a mic go for it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
..you will know by comparison to the original
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Well i got the mix bag from Radio Shack and did find the washer, however the inside diameter opening does not allow it to fit over the needle all the way to the top like the original. My local HD store does not have it either. I think a trip to the dealership is in order
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Now I'm totally confused as I just saw another post stating the washer should be sitting on the notch.

Sparky. Any chance you could get me the same shims from your hardware store or at least tell me the size you got? I cannot find the right ones...

Last edited by TheRuckus; 01-28-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode