650 CIS Remove ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
View Poll Results: Remove CIS ?
yes 1 33.33%
Don't bother 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

650 CIS Remove ?

I have read through many of the threads about removing the CIS. I still have not been able to figure out if there is an advantage to do so with oem pipes. I do get deceleration backfire, but I have not yet had a chance to check the sync of the carbs. I have only had the bike since Dec., and put a couple hours on it before it got too cold to ride.

What do you think?

larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 09:07 PM

I got a 2005 650 last year. It is completely stock as well. Rode it all summer and get the odd little deceleration backfire. Doesn't really bother me. I looked into removing it online and don't really see any great advantage to it, other than cleaning up the look.

If/when the stock pipes wear out and I have to replace them, I figure I can get a good low mileage used set from someone that just had to make their bike louder.

Dave
2005 VStar 650
1990 BMW R45
Have had many others.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 AM

Are you talking about the AIS? If so read the following. If CIS is something I have never heard of, please ignore

If your bike is an '06 or newer (CA '05) and you remove the AIS while the factory pipes are on there is a chance of fire hazard... following copied/pasted from sloanservices.com

Catalytic converters are designed to clean up exhaust emissions by burning off any residual unburned hydrocarbons. In the process they become extremely hot. If there is a large amount of unburned fuel passing into the Cats, they will get hot enough to potentially cause anything flammable near them to catch fire. The AIS system allows oxygen rich air into the exhaust system at the outlet port in the cylinder head. This oxygen will support combustion of any unburnt gasses and consume the hydrocarbons before they make it to the Cats, thus helping to keep the temperature in the Cats down. Disabling the AIS and keeping the Cats is high risk for a fire.

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 AM

Thanks M'Lady, that gives me even more reason to leave everything alone.

Plus, my bike does what I ask it to do, so I see no reason to modify the heck out of it, which usually results in a less reliable bike. At least from my experience.

Dave
2005 VStar 650
1990 BMW R45
Have had many others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode