[2013 V-Star 650 Custom] New Vance & Hines pipes? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

[2013 V-Star 650 Custom] New Vance & Hines pipes?

hi all,

I am thinking about getting a set of Vance and Hines pipes for my bike. The problem is, 2010 is the last model year that they will support for the pipes that I would like to get. I have contacted both Vance & Hines, and the dealership that I purchased my bike from, and they both say that they *should* work on my 2013 V-Star, but they can't (or won't) guarantee it. I can't imagine that Yamaha made any drastic changes to the emission and/or exhaust systems in the last 3 model years, but you never know.

Has anyone had any experience replacing the pipes on a bike similar to mine? As always, any comments, suggestions, and all help is very much appreciated.

oh, I almost forgot, here is the link to the pipes that I am looking at:

http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/metric/yamaha/31505

Thank you all very much,
Steven

Last edited by steven.w43; 01-30-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:06 PM

My brother worked for vh and HE had trouble getting info for me. They cater to Harley, period. Japanese bikes don't make them enough money to get our attention. He recommended I choose another brand.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Where do you live? If your close to Dallas Fort Worth ill let you rip the ones off my 99 and test fit them.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman84 View Post
Where do you live? If your close to Dallas Fort Worth ill let you rip the ones off my 99 and test fit them.
hi Barman, thank you for the offer, but I am in California, so unfortunately, that won't work
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:59 PM

Steve

I guarantee you the 2010s will work though as they haven't done anything differnt to them since lets say 98.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:40 PM

I can't see why they won't as barman said they haven't changed. I installed the short shots on a 2014 650 custom no problems even though they only go up to 2010 model also
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM

I can't say if they will fit, but if they do, you will like them. I have the Kruzers on a 800cc metric bike and they are sweet. I think they sound better than the cobra speedsters on my 1300.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

hi all,

thanks for your responses! Maybe you can help me out with something that I was told regarding this on Saturday. Essentially, last year a new law was passed by CARB (the California Air Resources Board), that places more stringent regulations on motorcycle exhausts. I was told that I am pretty much out of luck if I want to have after-market pipes installed in-state, as a cursory search of the major pipe manufacturer catalogs did not show any CARB certified pipes for my bike.

Does this mean that I need to go out of state, say to Nevada or Arizona, if I decide that I really want after-market pipes?

Thank you all for your assistance,
Steven
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM

Get the pipes you want, then just swap back to stock for your state inspection. I've heard of others having to do this to get their bikes passed. A PITA but you gotta do what you gotta do.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 01:34 AM

That's correct. Here in California you cannot remove any smog control device. On the vstar there is a cat in the slip on muffler so basically you can only replace the muffler with a factory part or a CARB certified part. Due to the cost of obtaining a certification there are only a handful of parts that have been certified. I'm sure you can easily guess that they are for Harley's. Therefore most shops won't risk heavy fines or loss of license to install non approved parts. All that said, there currently ( remember I say currently they are working hard to change this) is no inspection process in California. So the risk is low if you swap it out on your own or have it done somewhere that will do the job. Again low is not non existing, cops and CHP can write a citation for modified exhaust. Also keep your factory stuff as it is illegal to sell the vehicle modified. A lot of the country is looking st adopting similar laws and most likely will eventually. With cars its already a federal law. As the law hangs around we will see more legal parts hit the market place. For now we just do what we have to. Personally I think its time the manufacturers step up and make serviceable factory designs and compliant performance parts. Its kind of silly that our bikes are now creating more pollution than a pickup truck or muscle car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode