Help.. installing new turn signals - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Help.. installing new turn signals

Hi all! I seem to be stumped and hoping for a little guidance i have a 2002 V-star 65.. I'm trying to install a set of bullet style turn signals in the front and rear.. my new bullet turn signals are 2 wire black and red... when i dismantled my headlight i saw a sleu of wires i tried to connect my new signals up in almost every combo possible the best i can do is get it to light up and stay lit not blink or anyhting is there some sort of wiring secret or trick? i found the wiring diagram...
Blue wire = Running light
Black = Ground
Brown = left indicator
green = right indicator

Thanks for any input...

15 GRAND AND 15 MILES DOES'NT MAKE YOU A BIKER.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/61008833/Y...Service-Manual - A must for everyone the holy service manual..

*II[BLUE BIKE CLUB]II*

PAY UP
$$$$$
SUCKER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM

Should be real simple. The black wire from the turn signal goes to a black wire on the bike. The red wire from the left turn signal goes to the brown wire on the bike and the red wire from the right turn signal goes to the green wire on the bike. If you hook them up like that and they still don't work, there is a problem somewhere in the bike wiring.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:47 PM

Since they arent 3 wire signals, they wont stay on all the time. They will only flash. You need the Black (ground) Brown and Green Wires. Blue is not used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

I swear I tried the combo..... Let me give it a shot I'll update if it works

http://www.scribd.com/doc/61008833/Y...Service-Manual - A must for everyone the holy service manual..

*II[BLUE BIKE CLUB]II*

PAY UP
$$$$$
SUCKER
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken448 View Post
Since they arent 3 wire signals, they wont stay on all the time. They will only flash. You need the Black (ground) Brown and Green Wires. Blue is not used
This makes a little more sense... I'm gonna give this a try late tonight.. Now sorry let's break it down a bit so black wire from signal to black wire on bike? And obviously brown and green to left and right coordinating signal light?

And also it should be the same in the rear right? Black to black then brown and green to. Coordinating signal right?

Thanks again! Huge help

*II[BLUE BIKE CLUB]II*

PAY UP
$$$$$
SUCKER
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 PM

What type of signals are you adding? If it's a standard bulb, as long as you have a good ground and you're positive you have the right wire for the right turn signal it should run - regardless of which order you hook them up. If you're swapping in LED signals the polarity has to be correct. You could potentially have the correct wires hooked up (intent being to connect black to black and brown to red) but if they put the led in backwards at the factory it won't work. I had the problem with aftermarket gauges I put in one of my cars.

Try running a voltmeter on the wires to ensure that the diagram you have is correct. When you turn on the signal, you should see a jump. If you know you have the right wire there, check your ground.

If it's a standard socket type plug, can you swap it over to a three wire to keep the running lights? I imagine it'd be nice to have them.

Mike
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOBRA101 View Post
This makes a little more sense... I'm gonna give this a try late tonight.. Now sorry let's break it down a bit so black wire from signal to black wire on bike? And obviously brown and green to left and right coordinating signal light?

And also it should be the same in the rear right? Black to black then brown and green to. Coordinating signal right?

Thanks again! Huge help
If you still get nothing after doing this check your fuses and make sure you didn't blow any of them. If you are using LED bullets they are positive to negative only and will blow a fuse in a hurry if backwards.

There is a conversion hookup to make your two wire lights into three so you still have running lights on the front as well.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode