Am I asking too much? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Am I asking too much?

I asked this on the other site, but I'll ask here too, to get more insight. I have a Corbin Dual Tour seat for a V-Star 950T that I've listed on CL for $325. I had a guy email for pics, sent same. He asks me if I'm selling the bike with the seat. I guess it was his snarky way of telling me he thought my price was too high. I would have started negotiations a different way, but whatever. This isn't a clever way to advertise the seat for sale, I already have it listed in the proper place. Just looking for feedback. Here's one of the pics I sent for reference. So, am I asking too much?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM

Looks like its brand new and is that what you paid for the seat? I think that most aftermarket seats are in that price range anyways...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 PM

If it is in like new condition, I think that is a fair price. New is around $500 so $325 sounds about right. You will always get people on CL that want to get something for little or nothing.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstarjoe View Post
Looks like its brand new and is that what you paid for the seat? I think that most aftermarket seats are in that price range anyways...
I paid about $480 plus $30 to ship it directly from Corbin.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 PM

Your asking price does not sound out of line to me.

2003 V Star 1100 Classic
Mustang seats
Studded tank bib
LeatherLyke bags
OEM passenger floorboards
Pyle Audio system
GPS mount w/12V hook up
Memphis Shades batwing fairing
Cobra Slash cuts slip ons
More chrome than you can shake a stick at...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

looks like a fair price. maybe he just likes your bike. who wouldn't? it's a friggin V Star 950

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 AM

Had a $570 set of Ultimate seats off of my 1300 listed on eBay. Started a bit high but gave the option for "make offer". Relisted them 4 times lowering price each time. No offers all the way down to $395 listed buy it now price. Finally sold for $375 to local buyer, paid cash and picked up seats. They were like new. Good luck selling !!

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM

Honestly, NO

However, you need to look at it like this. Just because you like the seat doesn't mean everyone else will. Aftermarket parts are exactly that aftermarket you have more people looking for stock or NOS parts more than aftermarket.

Take you car for example you can put 30k worth of add ons to it but when you go to trade it in the dealership isn't going to give you a cent more than what its worth to them and most buyers will want to pay you nada value. The right buyer at the right time is what you are looking for to re-coupe any inversted cost.

Buying a 500 dollar seat and not liking it or wanting something different or just whatever it is is great. But remember you bought it not the other person they may like it but you will have to find the right person who wants a lot to buy it used. It sucks I shopped for 7 months to find the right deal for my bike and I looked at used seats a lot more. However, I ended up buying a new one from teh factory for about 50 more then all the used ones I found where going for.

$375 I say stick to it but if someone offered you $300 would you turn them away?

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman84 View Post

$375 I say stick to it but if someone offered you $300 would you turn them away?
No, I wouldn't turn them away. When I list something, I fully expect to have to negotiate. I haggle, I pretty much expect everyone else to do the same. I appreciate your input as well as everyone else who weighed in on this subject. Thanks.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSunn View Post
No, I wouldn't turn them away. When I list something, I fully expect to have to negotiate. I haggle, I pretty much expect everyone else to do the same. I appreciate your input as well as everyone else who weighed in on this subject. Thanks.
You're welcome honestly I have had better luck using eBay to get rid of items for my bike I no longer want or need than the forums or craigslist. I had way to many weirdos calling my phone off craigslist and a few that showed up that seemed like they were more interesting in casing out my house than looking at the seat. I started using a supermarket address when I listed stuff and told them I would meet them there.

Public witnesses and lots of people around plus security camers all over the place. It was funny to see the response that would pass after that knowing they weren't coming to my home to see anything.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode