MaxAir vs SS Chubby vs ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

MaxAir vs SS Chubby vs ?

I'm hoping to decide on a pod kit for my 2003 1100 Silverado but I can't decide which kit to purchase. I know I want a pod kit, they obviously are a great mod. Only engine mods I currently have are a disabled AIS and V&H Classic II exhaust.

I have read on each site about each kit, but would love to hear input from the End Users, you folks, about what you encountered with the kit you chose to install in effort to determine a few things, like:

Which is the best value, or easiest to install, or has better parts, pro and cons of each kit, how the kit has held up, what your would have done different, is one better then the other and why, ect.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:05 AM

chubby cost less uses mukuni parts.maxair uses dynojet parts which no one on forums know how to jet easy one
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Chubby all day bro. Start looking at customer service compalints about the maxair or heck their service period and you will change your mind quickly. The chubby you could probably put together a little cheaper that what they have it for but when I say cheaper I mean 20 -30 cheaper so factoring gas and your time its just not worth driving around for. The instructions for both simply suck so you know go to the forum and print off the carb stuff and use that with the instructions provided so when you scratch yoru head wondering where the part is your looking to change you can figure it out if your not to carb smart.

If you weren't in oregon I would help you do it for a case of beer... The hardest part is pulling the carbs and putting them back in.

2007 V star 1100 Classic flat black bagger.

SOLD 1999 Bobber https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=39129

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

I,ve heard that the Chubby kit requires you to glue the pods to the carb, and the Maxair comes with step downs and clamps. Im sure I could mok something to do that but, that's the stuff im just not sure on.

Is that true?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM

You dont have to but you can or just use an exhaust elbow from autozone or some other shop that works great. I just glued mine as the elbow has two attachments points and I don't plan on going back to stock. Now its just one screw to get to the front of the carb instead of two.

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Currently bone stock going to be a bitchin bagger in progress. Already at the shop gettting a custom 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 12:34 PM

max air

i went with the max air. no problems at all. customer service was good and prompt with all answeres. instructions includied were easy and straight forward. had for a year now with great results.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM

What do you guys mean by gluing the chubby pods to the carbs? The kit only came with a small bottle of temporary glue that I'm pretty sure is used to glue the filters to the elbows so they don't slip off since there's not much length on the filter neck to securely clamp it, at least that's what I did.

Last edited by roblox84; 02-05-2014 at 05:06 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...-modificationsscroll down to diy podkit everythings there.below that is the larry rymal quiet pod setup he ues a differene set of knn filters that don't require switching the elbows.there is a list of the parts needed.i followed these instructions to do my pods i made my own sleeves from auto zone.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:47 PM

There's no need to buy elbows and no need to glue with the SS kit.

Just shy of 10k miles with my Chubby kit, rain, heavy winds, etc...no problems. Just tighten them good, not too much to deform the filter but enough to grip it firmly.

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
What do you guys mean by gluing the chubby pods to the carbs? The kit only came with a small bottle of temporary glue that I'm pretty sure is used to glue the filters to the elbows so they don't slip off since there's not much length on the filter neck to securely clamp it, at least that's what I did.
That's exactly what we are saying. Glue the elbow to the filter attach elbow to carb and screw it down.

2002 Roadstar Midnight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode